GCN Videos -- hidden gems?

erm… no! totally agree. GCN might offer some nicely structured workouts, but they’re mostly delivered with a “free and you can’t opt out” TTBS supplement :roll_eyes:

You know you don’t have to do those workouts, right?

1 Like

referred to the TTBS supplement, not to the workout as such

I don’t know what TTBS means

Turbo Trainer Boredom Syndrome

find more historical information about Sufferlandria here Sufferlandria®: Culture – The Sufferfest

8 Likes

or TR for short :slight_smile: :smiling_imp:

1 Like

I think the structure of the workouts is fine, but the video format / content really doesn’t work for me. I like sufferfest because of the humour and being a bit quirky, whilst giving you serious training. I prefer the novid over gcn, and just play some music or watch a replay of a bike race or a video from one of my rides. Yes I do realise I can turn vid off for gcn, but then… Might as well ride a novid…

Sorry :frowning:

4 Likes

New to Sufferfest…GCN spin classes compared to the usual vids = so boring.

5 Likes

I actually find the GCN videos help me get through the suffering. I’ve done the aerobic endurance one a few times (which is a mentally tough session to hit those varying cadence targets) and found the banter and obvious suffering of the GCN crew both amusing and motivating. I suppose it simulates a group workout in that sense. Maybe it helps that I’m from the UK so can relate more to the GCN humour?

So anyway I think the GCN videos are a good addition to the regular SUF library just for a different perspective once in a while.

4 Likes

Muscular Endurance intervals yesterday and VO2max Intervals today. Painful combo, but fun, fast and effective workouts. Pushed my muscular endurance to the limits, but feels great afterwards.

1 Like

I’ve done a few of the GCN workouts and found them useful, if not brilliant.

A friend recently pointed me to their extensive library of cycling films, which are accessible by subscription. Seems to me that there could be a match here for licensing content. SYSTM still has a lot of no video, or video and no sound, workouts, some quite lengthy (Open 120, anyone?). Also, as much I like many of the “Inspiration” workouts, you can only watch them so many times. Perhaps the longer no-vid active recovery workouts could be made more interesting by incorporating these films.

4 Likes

I love the idea, but you’ll run into the same issue with the inspiration videos: once you’ve seen 'm, you’re unlikely to do them again.

The licensing is also added cost that somehow needs to be recovered from the users.

With the no-vids, you can pick whatever you want to watch over the top of it. Whether that’s GCN, youtube or something completely different.

I ran the Netflix documentary ‘Maiden’ over my last no-vid workout. That was brilliant.

3 Likes

I do the same as @TrapMeSuf , just put on the novid of the desired length, and generally watch a full stage of whatever race happens to be current, or something I haven’t seen.

3 Likes

I’ve done several of them as well. They’re tough! Most are short but wow they pack in the effort.

1 Like

Agree. Would be nice.