Knighthood on 28th May 2022

I did a triathlon in Sweden a few years ago. About 5am in the bike racking pre race I saw a hopeful racer had taped 5 snickers bars to their frame.

6 hours later I was about 32 degrees C and rising. I never saw that bike again but if the rider had tried to open any of those packets it wouldn’t have done their drive train much good.

3 Likes

Ouch, that sounds really messed up I’m afraid, imagine the goo all those Snickers made :neutral_face:

2 Likes

Oh gosh that really sucks big time

I missed a flight once but at the very least, the airline provided food for us althougth we had to stay in the airport for about 8 hours to get onto the next flight back home.

Having been on the prep plan for 3 weeks now, it’s time to give a sit-rep of how all things have been going.

Let me start by saying many thanks to all who have contributed in this thread and for all the tips and pointers thus far. It has been really valuable and the support for a chap like me who is attempting something of this scale is just amazing.

So far the following items are done and some are still work in progress:

1. Training schedule – Printed out a copy of the training schedule and training is going well. Nothing to really complain about other than one ride so far being very frustrating. Otherwise, no complaints whatsoever

2. 10 minutes break for kit change & roller-turbo/turbo-roller transition – 10 minutes is really fast but I think it’s just about enough time to have a kit change and swapping from the rollers to the turbo. There’s even a little bit of time to get a bite from the kitchen. Granted, I have practiced this twice during the Saturday’s 3-hours MAP ride by taking a 10 minutes break in between each hour. So far so good I’d say, and it’s particularly useful using voice commands to ask the mobile phone to set a timer for 10 minutes.

3. Fueling and hydration – Taken the advice to munch while on the bike during the warm up / cool down period of the ride which proves to save precious time during the 10 minutes break. Not much issues with hydration for the time being. Experimented with effervescence vitamin C tabs too and it’s OK so far. No excessive urge to ease the bladder. I do have a timer set every 10 minutes to hydrate.

4. Assault (ride) plan – It’s all set and ready to go. Planning was done right down to the things to do during and after each session. In terms of intensity, 80% for the first 3 rides might just be do-able. I might stick to 70% all the way from ride #4 to #10. If the legs feel good after #6, I will go with what I have planned so far.

5. Turbo all the way from #4? – This is something I am still considering at moment. I might go this route, turbo all the way from #4 instead of switching back and forth between the roller and turbo. Perks of riding on the turbo, I can actually do video recording of myself and post while pedaling away and also being able to ride off the saddle every now and then to ease the back. The only down side of riding on the turbo all the way is the sheer boredom of not having the bike moving under me as I would have on the roller.

That’s all I’ve got to share at the moment.

Mission: IWBMATTKYT
Vision: Stare fear dead in the eye

4 Likes

#tuhntf

Wait what?
Sorry my honourable Knight, but would you be so kind to enlighten this Squire the full meaning of tuhntf?

I forgot to add, Motto: Trying are for losers, doing are for winners :smile:

2 Likes

The Uncomfortable Have Nothing To Fear :anguished:

DarrenWCKam You’ve got this planned to the Nth degree, Hats Off! As I progressed through videos 1-10, my legs became more and more less able to support my body without shaking. During the ten minute breaks, I would attempt some modest stretching of my legs, with one hand firmly grasped to the top tube to support my wobbling legs. Limiting your turbo to roller change outs could be beneficial for nothing more than simplifying a already difficult process, and freeing up the valuable ten minutes for other things your body will be demanding. Best of luck, you’ve put a lot of thought into this. Love your Vision Statement - goes well with your Mission Statement!

I see :sweat_smile:
I only fear, fear. Hahaha :rofl:

Chapeau to you too Sir @Rick. I am still thinking if I missed anything. I know I have covered the training, the fuel, hydration, kit change, photos and video on the bike, and break time ‘activities’, is there anything else I have possibly missed?

This would be something to look out for. I am most afraid of cramps, but I reckon that should and could be mitigated with adequate salts in the body. I even gone to the extent to get some salt tablets a fortnight ago just in case if I do get a cramp.

Yeah, I think so too! The thought just came to me a couple of days ago, that I might consider doing #4 - 10 on the turbo rather than going back and forth between the two. I even had a crazier idea of taking my brother’s bike and converting his bike for the occasion but I think, it’s too much of a hassle since I have to set up the entire bike to my riding position.

Thank you for the best wishes, hope to join the ranks of the Knights soon.
One can never be over-prepared for something of this scale and I don’t know if I might attempt a second time.
Oh oh, I only thought of the vision statement last night while reading a book and that I only fear fear itself. As for the motto, it’s been with me since I was 17, thanks to a tutor of mine; Trying are for Losers, Doing are for WINNERS. :crazy_face:

1 Like

You sound ready! I suspect that the turbo roller switch will get harder as you get more tired. Also, it is easy for something to go wrong. Personally, I like the idea of going through the hassle of getting you brother’s bike set up for you (providing it’s about the same size). It’s a huge risk reducer.

I hope I am ready though, the count 3-week count down to 28th May is getting me a little anxious and nervous all at the same time. :dizzy_face: :dizzy_face: :dizzy_face:

I would agree that the turbo-roller switch would get tougher to do as the day goes and I have taken the the advice from above to fine tune my assault plan. I have reason to believe that things can go terribly wrong if I stick to the turbo-roller switches, especially on the rollers that is. That’s the reason why I have made up my mind to ride on the turbo from the 4th ride onward. :blush:

Oh about my brother’s bike, I thought about it, but the problem I will encounter is fitting of the bike. The size of the bike is more or less like mine, just the geometry is slightly different since it’s a TT bike. The other problem I will encounter is the power meter, as mine is a pedal based power meter and I am not exactly sure if my Assioma Duo can work independently if I convert the Duo to Uno. :thinking: Hmmm…

And so some updates following the 5 back-to-back rides this morning. Mentally draining especially during the 5th and final ride of the day thanks to the weather.

I have came to my senses that I will be doing everything on the rollers instead of switching to the turbo trainer from the 4th ride onwards just to stay indoors and not at the porch.
Nutrition (food) wise… hmmmm… I did try having egg sandwiches this morning during the ride and can’t say I like it. :roll_eyes: :neutral_face: I think I would prefer chicken or tuna sandwiches.

In terms of hydration, those store bought coconut water is ewwwwww. :woozy_face: :face_vomiting: Fresh ones are still the best. Personally, I am planning to go with my usual electrolyte tablets as well as isotonic drinks and perhaps some multigrain soymilk.

By the way, I would like to ask, do you guys actually cut off the crusts from the sides of the bread for your Knighthood quest?

2 Likes

I’m not sure how many people had sandwiches during their quests but I did. Corned Beef with hot mustard on rye bread and egg salad with mayo also on rye. I did NOT cut off the crusts. That’s blasphemy for our local rye bread.

Seems like you’re ready for some epic suffering. Some great lessons learned about the value of planning. There aren’t a lot of folks who have completed their quests on rollers but there are some and they are indeed a special level of bada$$. I won’t be around on your day, got a local gravel grind my club is putting on but I wish you much pain, misery and agony in the pursuit of honour, glory and victory!

3 Likes

Hey Sir Glen! It’s always a pleasure to have your input as well.

About the bread, I asked because I am actually going to use those regular bread loafs from the mart to make my sandwiches. I am still wondering if the crusts should be left as it is or should I just cut them away.
What I did last night was actually toasting the bread with the mashed eggs in a sandwich maker and I’ve got to be honest with myself, not something that nice to eat on the bike :sweat_smile: I am now thinking of going with the trusted tuna sandwich.

I might even consider onigiri with tuna filling too! Carbs loads of carbs there. :grinning:

The fortnight will come too soon sir and I look forward to some epic pain, misery and agony.
For honour, glory and victory! I can taste and feel them all in the air. :wink:

2 Likes

You’ll be fine. It will all be fine (insert evil laugh).

Yah, you def don’t wanna be experimenting with foods on the day. I had a huge variety of different things, salty, smooth, crunchy, chewy, sour, sweet. Waaaaay more food than I needed but I do have a tendency to over prepare :stuck_out_tongue:

That variety does sound like a lot!
Frankly speaking, one can never be over prepared for a day like this. Doomsday preparation doesn’t even come close to this. :smile: :smile: :smile:

Sour food, that is something different which is worth trying out, maybe tomorrow.

1 Like

1 Like

@DarrenWCKam For my quest I just stuck with bars and electrolytes mixed in water plus just plain water. However when I race long distances on MTB my go to food is PB&J. It is a nice blend of carbs, protein and fat and probably wouldn’t be too messy in the indoor trainer.

I ate peanut butter sandwiches on the bike during my quest, they weren’t messy for the most part. There were a couple that I got careless on the spreading and had a large lump in the middle that squished a little more than normal when taking a bite but that was the worst.

1 Like

Just completed my attempt 4 h ago - and this was my fueling plan:
10 bottles: Each with water, 60 grams maltodextrin, some salt and juice of half a lemon.
Basically that‘s it…
But I know that I need something to chew (not only my stem), I also had rice cakes on hand. They only have medium amount of carbs (I had about 100 grams of carbs in total today from rice cakes), but they are perfect for the stomach and something to bite…

But always consider rule #1: Work out YOUR fueling strategy, test it and do NOT change things for the KoS.

All the best!

2 Likes