Life in the prairies

I often whine/joke about our inhospitable temperature so thought I’d share this one where the temps are okay but even the snow knows where we live.

Now all I can think of are the delicacies we can make with this precious, gluten free non-gmo grain.

Snow bread, snow cakes, snownuts, snowslï

9 Likes

People laugh at me when ask why I moved to Wisconsin and my answer is 1) employment, 2) it’s warmer than where I was.

I grew up in International Falls, MN, slightly south from where you are but still an area that should be inhabitable in the winter. I know the struggle, and that struggle is real.

5 Likes

If it ever got that cold here, we have a MAJOR problem. However, it’s supposed to rain again on Sunday/Monday. Normally, I wouldn’t care but we are filling in for a person who will be in Utah visiting family and that might be a bad thing.

2 Likes

Sounds like a personal problem to me! :laughing:

2 Likes

Hehe. Yeh. Tbh, I’m totally good into the -10s. You do get used to it and when it’s Sunny it’s actually crisp and enjoyable. Past that, into the -20s or lower and with an added windchill it’s just ugly but we manage.

1 Like

Is ‘Snow Grains’ like graupel? That’s my favorite form of frozen precipitation, along with freezing fog.

1 Like

Close. It’s all just frozen water after all. According to wiki:

Graupel is precipitation that forms when supercooled droplets of water freeze on a falling snowflake.

While snow grains are characterized as very small (<1 mm), white, opaque grains of ice that are fairly flat or elongated. Unlike snow pellets, snow grains do not bounce or break up on impact. Usually, very small amounts fall, mostly from stratus clouds or fog and never fall in the form of a shower.

3 Likes

It’s wintertime. It happens.

3 Likes

lol. I’m used to to the winter. It just struck me as funny that there were snow grains. Normally it just says sunny, or cloudy, or flurries, or snow. “Grains” was more specific than I’m used to.

3 Likes

I apologize for completely missing the point of your post :grinning:

It’s late, have been watching football, etc.

4 Likes

I did lol at your post tho. All good.

2 Likes

Grains is a new term for me and really funny in the prairies :joy:
Reminds me of when I was little and first reading Farley Mowat books and discovered that the Inuit had many different words to describe the different types of snow. I remember asking why Canadians didn’t know and use all those words when it’s clearly so useful…such young naivety.
Lol! Here I go learning new terms!

3 Likes

I’ve lived here my whole life and while “grains” may have been used before, it’s the very first time that I’d ever noticed it. Living on the prairies, it just struck me as funny. I’d heard that about the Inuit too.

3 Likes

Snow Nanaimo Bars - they are no bake…

Snonaimo bars. Yumm