Mt Suff - riding 1000+km - COMPLETE!

Here’s everything going into the saddlebag

2 Likes

Sometimes life gives you lemons and you make lemonade. Sometimes life just goes all black swan and there’s nothing you can do.

Ya boy is hurtin’ on all levels - physical and emotional.

About 50km in, I was headed down a hill near Stanwell Tops and a car just didn’t stop. He was oncoming, and turned right, across my lane and into me. I had no chance to stop, swerve or even ride slower. He literally just turned into me at the last moment.

I hit the bumper with my right leg, then bashed my shoulder into the windscreen. I ended up on the roof, and he drove about 20 meters not knowing I was still up there.

Lucky for me an off-duty paramedic was driving nearby and worked his magic until the police arrived. An ambulance helicopter took me to the hospital, where i’ll be for a few days.

The damage? Right leg needs plates and screws in the shin bone. Various cuts and grazes on my arms, some deeper ones on my right shoulder, probably from direct impact with the windscreen. A fractured vertebra. Right wrist might have a small fracture too. Enough blood loss to not warrant putting the pictures on here.

The bike frame is held together by the cables. Shoe torn open. Jersey is shredded.

So I’ll be on crutches for a while and the involuntary off-season will be about rehab.

So… stay safe on the roads this Easter. Things can happen fast. Ride defensively and don’t assume anything. Pay attention always.

Meanwhile I get to enjoy hospital food… and hopefully find a toothbrush somewhere.

5 Likes

Oh, no! That is NOT the ending we wanted for this story. :frowning_face: We may enjoy our suffering, but not THAT kind. Thankfully you’re still alive to tell the tale. Here’s hoping you heal up quick.

3 Likes

Gutted to hear this - hope you recover soon, although that list of damages was long and nasty. Cripes! I had a 1,000km ride cancelled once due to being taken out by a car a week beforehand, but at least I managed to walk away from it with just heavy bruising. To go through all the effort of getting to the start, and get taken out right at the start like that must be brutal.

Strength to you & your family!

3 Likes

Holy crap I know that feeling only too well… Please please please bug the crap out of the medical staff to do a diagnostic ultrasound on your shoulder. Xray wont show any damage. And pm me seriously I will ride down and say hello. I’ve been there, I only just got down to the same area you’re talking about 3.5 years later after my accident and it just messed me up too much. A lot of help from some awesome ppl got me going again on the physical and mental side.

1 Like

I am so sorry to hear about this turn of events.

Get well soon, and I hope you have a speedy recovery.

Mate, sorry to hear that…wishing u a speedy recovery.

Well it’s been a while between drinks. But when you identify a Mt Suff, you’ve got to get there, right?

A lot has happened since this post began (including a growing family) and I’m proud to say I’m undertaking it again. Like last time, it’s unsupported, and I’ve squished the itinerary from 7 days into 5. There’ll be no film crew following me this time.

I leave Sydney on Wednesday and if all goes to plan, I’ll arrive in Melbourne late Sunday night.

Wish me luck! :slight_smile:

16 Likes

Woop, better late than never. Will you be trackable on Maprogress or similar?

2 Likes

Best of luck!

2 Likes

I wasn’t planning on it, mainly for the data drain on my phone and not really wanting to carry an extra device.

Although isn’t there some live track feature on the Bolt, now that I think about it?

1 Like

I may be mistaken but don’t you have to have the CA open during the ride in order for Live Track to work?

1 Like

There is indeed a live track feature on the Bolt. But it relies on your phone pinging your signal via cell towers. Not sure what the impact will be on battery drain though.

2 Likes

How did it go?

Great news, I did it!

I got in late on Sunday night, then flew back to Sydney on Monday, was into surgery onto Tuesday for my wrist (from the last accident), and today’s Wednesday so am playing catchup.

Here’s the ink to the rides on Strava:
Day 1: https://www.strava.com/activities/8156153059
Day 2: https://www.strava.com/activities/8160723099
Day 3: https://www.strava.com/activities/8165294196
Day 4: https://www.strava.com/activities/8169182302
Day 5: https://www.strava.com/activities/8174527551

All up it was about 1100km and 14,000m of climbing.

It went great. No mechanicals, only 2 flats. I took it generally pretty easy, knowing that any energy I saved would come in useful at the 180km+ mark. I packed perfectly and nutrition was spot on… think I could have eaten more, but i’m at the mercy of towns, so it went about as well as it could. No stomach freakouts.

I’m planning to do a YouTube video on how it all went, with a gear breakdown and lessons learned; I’ll post it here when it’s done.

But as a quick summary.

• Day 1 I had a huge headwind for 95% of the ride, was happy to get it over and done with. But was also feeling the strongest as I’m full of good food, vitamins and was very well rested.

• Day 2 was “the boring day”. I woke with an abysmal Whoop recovery score. The day was mostly quiet roads but the scenery just didn’t change. The last stretch was on a highway which was very hectic. Was glad to have this over.

• Day 3 was the beautiful day - across the mountains. My recovery was bad, but better. A shorter distance day. but had far more climbing. It was exhilarating going through this area, the scenery was amazing. Bucket list road riding for any Australians (between Threbo and Khancoban)

• Day 4 My pseudo-coach-friends were saying “if you can get past day 3, you’ll be fine”. I really felt it - my body was just in tune with what was happening now, I’d adapted. My recovery was way better starting today. It was still a long day, but I never felt bored or “over it”. The last 40km or so was flat, on great roads, and it felt great to just put my head down and sit on 35km/hr for the first time in days (yes… still a headwind)

• Day 5 This was a strange one. My headspace was very different - it was "take it easy, the goal is to get there, not get there fast or with good power. I’d rather get in safe and well fed and happy, than exhausted and unable to have a conversation with my parents. It started with a lot of climbing, then I was on a old rail trail for a few hours, then I stopped in a town and due to all the Sunday lunching people, lost so much time waiting for things. Big tip: avoid cafes and just stick to supermarkets. The last 50km into Melbourne I had rain, but it was surreal, beautiful, to ride through areas I hadn’t been through in over 20 years.

All in all, it was a wonderful goal to set and achieve - my first one as part of the Mental Training Program. It’s surreal to have been in a major accident as a result of it, yet still go back and do it.

Strangely I’m not thinking about “what’s next”. I just feel … content.

19 Likes

Enjoy the feeling of accomplishment!!! Huge congrats on a massive Mt SUF including ALL the obstacles.

1 Like

Congrats! What a fantastic experience.

1 Like

Wow, sounds amazing! Fantastic job! Sounds like you did it right. Didn’t obliterate yourself. And enjoyed the ride.

That is just so cool! Congrats!!

1 Like