Multi day event plan

Thing is the events average 100km with 3,000 mtr’s climbing every day for 5 days. An optimal plan for this would be great

1 Like

If this is something you’re plotting perhaps you can swing this over to the Training topic. More likely to get a coach weighing in than feature requests. Give me the word and illl do that for you if you can’t yourself.

1 Like

Yeah defo plotting 6th year coming up in 2022. No idea how to move to training section, appreciate the help. :+1:t2:

1 Like

I’m doing the 200mile gravel grinder plan and the weekend rides ramp up to 5+ hours on both days. And the rest is minimal. Definitely setting one up for some multi day stuff. I think after getting thru this plan, as long as you’re good with looking after yourself post ride each day, you’ll be fine going as many days as you want. Loads of our guys do TA here (3,000km in 10-30 days, it’s a brevet so the min allowable time is 10 days) and they just do it off the back of 150km one off road fitness. Bear in mind they’re carrying bikepacking gear and loads of it is gravel and hike a bike. It’s different to multi day gravel racing tho…like Migration Race. I’d guess you’re thinking a plan to train for something like that?

3 Likes

Done and read @DameLisa ’s post too. Good luck!

2 Likes

Hey Peter,

At the moment we don’t have a specific multi-day event plan, however this is something I’ll bring up with the team. One suggestion would be to increase the volume of one of your weekend rides. Say you have an Endurance+ ride on the Saturday and a 2ish hour session with efforts on the Sunday, you could add some extra volume onto the Sunday ride. Just be mindful of recovery for the next week and maybe reducing a bit of the intensity during the week and have a really good 2-day big volume mini block at the weekend.

We can also tailor your plan for your specific event via the customised plans if you were interested in that option.

Hope that helps,

Andy

4 Likes

Thanks folks

1 Like

Hardest event I had to train for was doing half marathons on back-to-back days. I had to do a special training calendar for that where instead of doing a short recovery or a rest day the day after my weekly LSD run, I slowly ramped up the distance on that day until I had almost 2 long run days back to back. But cycling is a different animal than running, so that may not be as neccessary. But the 200 Mile Gravel Grinder and the Grand Fondo plans both have 2 long days in a row every week, so they can definitely do the trick.

2 Likes

I don’t see any weekend rides of 5+ hours on both days. Or did you mean 5+ hours combined? I do see plenty of those!

You might be a different rider type to me but I definitely had plenty of weekends with a 5 hour endurance on the one day and a few hours of intervals on the other day. I’ve got some with 4:30 endurance and 4 hours intervals as well

1 Like

I echo @DameLisa : the GG200 plan is good for multi-day events. I did one to prep for a 10-day, 1200-mile ride, with daily elevation gains of between 1000-6000 feet. The plan indeed has back-to-back long ride days, up to 5 hours each. After I finished the plan, I had six training weeks in which I focused on endurance rides more days in a row as my schedule permitted. The GG200 plan, plus strength and yoga, was sufficient to prepare me for several long days in a row.

2 Likes

That’s what I meant. I see the same as you, but your earlier post appeared to imply that you were getting 5 hour sessions on two consecutive days!

Actually looking at your calendar screenshot, you appear to have 2 plans overlaid i.e. 200 Mile Gravel + Mountain Fondo. So that would load up your schedule massively!

1 Like

The GG 200 plan does have 5 hour rides on consecutive days.

I just don’t see it. I’ve previewed the plan in pretty much every variation and can’t see any consecutive days with 5 hour rides. The highest I can see is 5 hr endurance followed by 3:15 sprints the next day. So what am I missing? Maybe the plan has changed?

I did but ignore the one
I just loaded up the other to try find you an example weekend.

Maybe you’re simply a different rider type from me. I also have a massive Sustain weakness, so probably pushes duration for me. I loaded that plan originally off the old Suf app which would have accounted for rider type and weakness (I think).

And yes, I think the plan has maybe changed too. When I originally loaded it it was different to what I’m seeing now. Have done updated testing since then too.

Nothing stopping you from pushing the durations yourself though. Just make sure your recovery is amazing.

I do sometimes push the durations for my own needs. But I was just curious about the different plans and if I was missing something. Having looked closely at the current plans, I don’t think you’ll find one with consecutive 5 hour days any more. My weakness is Sustained too BTW.

My apologies! When I did the plan last spring, consecutive long rides happened every weekend. I didn’t think about the plans having changed. I wonder what the thinking behind that might be.

No need for apologies! The plans obviously got changed along the way and it would indeed be interesting to know why. Maybe consecutive 5 hour rides are a bit much for most people’s life schedule! Looks like they’ve been replaced with one 5 hour endurance ride and a shorter, but more intense interval workout. That kind of makes sense and adds a bit of variety.

2 Likes