The Tour 2023

I wouldn’t count on it too much. I think Sufferlandria/Sufferfest will slowly be erased, as a legacy brand. Do I think it’s an error? Yes. But I’m not a manager at Wahoo, so what do I know. And I can only hope that killing that strong brand will be worth it for Wahoo/SYSTM in the long term, as the alternative would be really depressing.

4 Likes

@moose Rue the Day was new, Revolver was remastered, a remastered Omnium is being worked on, a new video similar to Recharger is coming out, The Model is new. Why would they be doing all of this if they are just going to kill the channel?

Personally, for me riding the tour will always be about suffering as a community and raising funds for the Davis Phinney Foundation. So I will be there for the tour in 2023.

7 Likes

Because there is still legacy staff committed to producing Sufferfest content? But after the recent layoffs, there’s not a lot of them anymore, which means they’ll have less weight in the decision making process? I don’t think firing original staff is only based on the fact they cost more, it’s also because they are the ones defending their original vision. Once the “ancients” are all gone, nobody will do Sufferfest content. And then nobody will ask for Sufferfest content, because it’s just a channel for legacy content in the app.
I don’t even argue with the strategy (except I think it’s wrong), Wahoo purchased Sufferfest, they can do whatever they think is best for Wahoo. I’m just sad to see something I loved being slowly transformed into legacy stuff.
And I do love some of the new content, like On Location or A Week With, but to me it has a major issue: repeatability. I can do an old Suf workout over an over again, but once I’ve done a “narration driven” workout such as OL or AWW, the next time it pops up in a training plan (if ever), I’ll do it with the sound off, listening to a podcast or what I get a video.
In Suf videos, the narration is meant to get you through the hard workout, it’s a vital part of it. Other videos like AWW, OL or Inspiration tell a story, like a documentary, and I don’t find them that interesting after the first time. But that’s just the way I see it, it probably doesn’t apply to everyone out there :sweat_smile:.

17 Likes

Optimist? Pessimist? Does it matter?
They will do what they will do, and I will make my decision as I see what happens.

1 Like

It probably doesn’t, but then again, never getting any negative feedback for a company is not the best thing either.

2 Likes

@moose Note that Sir David and Sir Francois are the content team for Sufferfest and they are both still with Wahoo. Sir Cody worked on Inspiration videos.

https://wahoox.forum.wahoofitness.com/t/nov-8-join-the-wahoo-systm-content-team-on-rgt/20062?u=jsampson

3 Likes

Yes, they’re the last two holdouts from the original content team.

2 Likes

@Heretic Agreed - the multichannel format works for me and the value at $15 per month price point is tough to beat - videos, yoga, strength, training plans, virtual riding and racing on RGT. But it is definitely a crowded space and as we have seen many times before, the best product doesn’t always win.

4 Likes

Boom. Same here. I will redo the odd on location that I love the scenery on, but the rest is like a tv show for me. Not likely to revisit. Sufferfest videos work, repeatedly for me, and those plus 4dp is why I joined/am here at all.

10 Likes

I have given plenty of negative feedback, but worrying about feedback I might have to give in the future, or worrying about what might happen, is counterproductive.

5 Likes

Fair enough.

+1

1 Like

+1. Again.

3 Likes

I know that I said in another thread that I couldn’t argue with you anymore unless you’ve paid, so imma do this one on my spare time :wink:

I’ll disagree here, a little, sort of.

Sometimes companies (and politicians) will float out ideas or hint at things to see what kind of public reaction there might be or to get a sense of what interest there is outside of the confines of the offices of senior management which can often just be an echo chamber of “oh yes, that’s a really great idea” feedback loop.

So, in the case of The Tour and this specific thread, given that a couple of Knights had taken the initiative to change the title before a staffer went in and changed it back, twice, it’s possible that the feedback given, neutral , positive and negative may impact how it looks when it has actually been decided what it will look like.

I won’t “worry” about it, but I will let my thoughts be known.

11 Likes

And I’d do it again… :wink:

#noregrets

7 Likes

Lol. I sooo want to encourage you to do it again but at the same time I think Sir @Rupert.H has other things he’d rather be doing.

4 Likes

It’s only 'cause I like @Rupert.H that I gave it up. And I feel bad he’s been put out front as the bullet-stopper.

4 Likes

when it should be you, obvs :wink:

2 Likes

Well clearly. :smirk:

We all serve our purpose.

4 Likes

Was one of those, Sir Glen. Wouldn’t wish it on my worst enemy. Now word stopper is a different story and that’s where we are. I’m hoping to see the list of events and be able to pick out a path to complete. I missed one of the tours due to being post surgery. I missed parts of the next two due to work. I really love the comrade during before, during, and after the event. Time to start fundraising!

2 Likes