Compatibility between two bikes and one Kickr

That solves all my doubts!! Thanks so much @Coach.Andy.T

Just received the Kickr and I am about to set It Up.

One doubt, both cassette and Kickr Core came with a spacer. Should I mount both of them or just one? Cassette one is a little bit thicker.

1.8mm spacer to use most 10sp road cassettes on an 11spd freehub, like the Kickr has. Some 10sp cassettes come with a 1mm spacer, because they are actually thinner than an 8/9sp one, the 1mm spacer and 1.8mm spacer will have to be used in this situation, ones that donā€™t come with a 1mm spacer have it built in Tiagra and mtb ones for example.

Itā€™s clear as mud isnā€™t it?

Actually I am even worst hahaha.

This cassette is a Shimano 105 10s 10-28T. It came with a thinner spacer (1mm I asume) than Kickerā€™s so I guess I should put both (one Next to each other). Am I right?

I did install it with the Kickr spacer and truth is shifting and noise in the smallest sprockets is terrible. I thought It might be old chain with new cassette but seems that I have to set everything up again.

Yes, use both. Itā€™s obvious when you donā€™t have enough spacers because the lock ring tightens up against the freehub instead of the cassette, and the sprockets are wobbly.

Will definetely install the shimano spacer this afternoon and try again. Sprockets are not wobbly but I hope that is the issue and noise and shifting issues go away.

Thanks @JGreengrass, will let you know!

Even when you have the right spacer, you often have to adjust (re-index) the rear derailleur when you put the bike on the KICKR. If you donā€™t, the drivetrain gets noisy and sometimes shifts poorly or skips. Keep track of how much you turn the barrel adjuster so you can put it back when you take your bike off the KICKR (and to speed the process next time you put it on).

1 Like

Wish me luck. I am not good at indexing derailleursā€¦ :neutral_face:

Thank you so much guys!!

I couldnā€™t be happier right now.
Just followed your tips and everything is working great!!

And so glad I finally changed to a direct drive turbo. Should have done it time ago.

3 Likes

Iā€™m back guys.

I unmounted the bike last weekend for an outdoors ride and when I mounted it back, I realized that the back triangle of the bike was flexing when tightening the quick realease (I guess I did not see that before even it was there but I just tighten it until the point that it does not move by itself) and therefore the derrailleur is changing its position too much towards the cassette and now it is shifting badly again and there are no means to index it properly.

I checked with my mechanic and he told me that I might need some spacer at the side of the bike apart from the two I have installed in the cassette, in order to prevent the bike frame to flex.

Does it make any sense to you? I am using the 130mm adapter because the 135mm wonā€™t fit. It is clear I am using the right one but I wonder if there is some piece I am missing so I can fit the bike properly.

Thank you in advance.

The Kickr comes with multiple adapters to fit the correct width of rear wheel, have you installed the correct one?
Different bikes have different rear axle widths and you need your Kickr spaced correctly for this.

I assume this is your road bike? If it has disc brakes the frame will have 135mm rear hub spacing.

Yeah, Iā€™m pretty sure I installed the right ones. That is why it is strange that I have that clearance that it makes the frame to flex so much. The 135mm adapter actually doesnā€™t allow the frame to fit on place so it has to be the 130mm.

Right, it is my road bike but it has rim brakes.

Iā€™m assuming this is your bike with the quick release. The simplest potential issue is that youā€™re not seating the dropouts fully in the KICKR. To prevent that, when you mount the bike, before you tighten the quick release, rotate the bike backwards on the dropouts until the seat is directly over the axle. Notice how easy it is to tilt the bike slightly sideways in the dropouts. You donā€™t want that! Push firmly straight down on the seat and tighten the quick release to make sure itā€™s fully seated. I get that that requires 3 hands! I do it by almost tightening the quick release and then holding the bike in the tilted back position (where it is easy to tell if itā€™s not seated) with my body while using my hands to tighten.

Actually, it might be as you say. I unmounted the bike and did as you said, checking carefully that the droup outs were well inserted and the bike frame was on them and, it seems, now it is much better. As far as I do not tighten the quick release as a demon, the flexing looks quite small and shifting is almost normal. Iā€™ll take sometime this weekend and make a full adjusting of the derrailleur and see if I can take it as closest to perfect. I touched so much the derrailleur trying to fix the shifting than it makes total sense to restart everything and work from there.

1 Like