Doing Half Monty & Full Frontal this week

I like Attacker but probs because the efforts are shorter. I just find Defender relentless and def doesn’t play to my strengths. As for vEveresting you can totally do that. It’s just a long AF endurance event. Knighthood is harder.

1 Like

I haven’t yet figured out how the vEveresting is easier than a Knighthood other than you can take longer breaks. You can sort of choose your power rather than being forced to rider intervals, but the climb will require a minimum power, while for a Knighthood when I’m really suffering I can potentially keep turning the intensity down. And based on all my calculations any vEveresting I can currently complete will involve more mileage than the 206 miles I rode 2 weeks ago. But that seems like a topic for a different thread.

1 Like

Dm me and we can discuss. I’ve done 3 of em so i do have a little experience and some tips.

1 Like

Why is the Half Monty not nearly as taxing but can generate FTP and MAP within a percentage or so of the Full Frontal?

1 Like

What exactly did you do?

1 Like

What’s this?

1 Like

Virtual Everesting.

2 Likes

Do go on, Sir emacdoug.

2 Likes

That’s the magic of SUF Science! Not everyone gets the same consistency between the 2. I’m one of the lucky ones.

1 Like

As an older rider, I have found a short warmup at 40% of FTP (say 5 minutes) does help me.

2 Likes

Happy to answer, but I’m not sure which thing to talk about. Are you wondering about how I calculated RPM/Gearing combis for different power levers, or how I picked targets, or something else?

1 Like

That’s a question that Sir @Glen.Coutts could expound more on as I believe he’s done it more than once. But it’s essentially doing an everesting indoors on a trainer on a virtual platform like RGT or Z***t.

1 Like

I’d be interested to hear:

:pray:

1 Like

Hey Sir @mserge, vEveresting as a concept is pretty simple and straightforward. You essentially pick any virtual hill (irl, you’d pick any hill) and ride repeats of that hill until you’ve accumulated 8848 metres of elevation, the height of Mt. Everest, then BOOM, you’re in the Everesting.cc hall of fame :slight_smile:

Sir Evan @emacdoug is correct. I’ve done 3 full virtual Everestings (Ventoux, Alpe d’Zwift, and Leith Hill). I bailed at just over 7000 metres on one of my attempts at Leith Hill and have done one irl half Everesting (4424 metres of elevation) by doing 300 reps of a paved section of a local former landfill called Garbage Hill. There are others here and in Greater Sufferlandria who have completed full IRL Everestings and they forever have my admiration.

The rules for virtual Everesting are that you have to have a smart trainer set at 100% difficulty and no ERG mode (i.e. you have to use the gears you actually have on your bike and not the wider range that changing trainer difficulty could provide you), you have to weigh yourself prior to your ride and use that weight on the day. There is no time limit and you can take as many breaks as you want for as long as you want, you are just not allowed to sleep, and it has to be recorded as a single activity (realizing that over the course of an attempt these breaks add up really fast, you want to minimize their length as much as you can). More rules here: vEVERESTING RULES - EVERESTING

Hells500, the keepers of the cloud, the overseers of Everesting have expanded the apps available to be used for vEveresting to include RGT, Zwift, FulGaz, Rouvy and Race Republic

Now, go do it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

How you made your calculations.