It Seemed Like Thin Air (Mash-Up)

Sounds like a solid plan! :+1:

Normally I would rely on my normal diet to take care of sufficient carbs but with the shovel the day before, it might be a good idea with some extra carbs the night before.

Usually not too fond of gels either, so might find some alternative there.

My nemesis is The Shovel, done it 7 times compared to 1 for ITSLTA, but, I am always following my plan, unless, my trainer or I get damaged.

AFAICR, while training indoors, I have this un-usually weird habit, anything under 1hr = 1 large bottle of water/electrolyte, passed 1 hr = 2 to 3 and upwards[depending on length] of electrolyte + caffeinne and gels or bars after 30 mins and then every 30mins. Basically what an outdoor 3hr ‘fun’ ride with friends, aprox 80~90kms food/drink requirements.

I live in a hot humid country, my trainer is in a room with 1 window and I have 1 18" fan running at full speed in front of me and when I am done, I assemble the bike and wash it.

Treat this workout as an outdoors ride and you should do better.

As per The Sufferfest, I am a sprinter, but I love doing fondos.

What.
A.
Brutal.
Session.

That was something else. Tell me no Stages during ToS will be this hard. What a monster.

Although determined to do it at 100%, I had to fight for quite some time against the temptation to dial down. Finally, at 9:30 left of the final climb I caved and dialed down to 95%. A little disappointing at the time, nevertheless pleased with finishing in style. I believe the legs may not have been fullt recovered from the Shovel yesterday.

Followed the fuelling-tips from this thread was probably what kept me going for as long as I did. But starting the final climb my stomach started to feel a bit funny so I couldn’t eat any more.

3 Likes

I guess lots of us will have this on the schedule today in the ToS prep plan.

I think it’s the only ride I’ve failed to finish on 100% each time I’ve ridden it. (Yes, I have done 9H - probably was time for FF.)

Today I was a little short on time so decided to skip all the recovery sections. Well it Seemed Like A Good Idea At The Time. I was broken with 20 mins to go on the Thin Air section, so dialled it back all the way to 90% for the last 10 mins.

So is the final section exactly the same as Thin Air and at the same intensity or is it any easier as a concession to having already ridden 90+mins?
And the sections from ISLAGIATT, there are less of them aren’t there? Are they any shorter or less intense?

Haha, just came to think of the spectator falling backwards of a ledge on the right side of the screen at around 55 minutes in. Anyone else noticed? Gave me a good laugh.

3 Likes

He does it every time.

5 Likes

I swear one time it didn’t happen

Or maybe I was just chewin stem and missed it :joy:

2 Likes

So an update on this…

Very happy to say I got through the workout yesterday thanks to your collective advice. The golden ticket was indeed nutrition! I did have to briefly backpedal several times in the last 15 mins but I’ll still take that as a victory over my nemesis!

My fuelling approach was 1 gel or bar (~40g carbs) every 25 mins (and one just prior). That seemed to do the job. My stomach wasnt in a great place afterwards but I guess that’s expected. I alternated between gels and bars for some variety and it was a struggle at places.

Thanks again for all of your help!

5 Likes

Interesting to read this. Did the mash up on Sunday and after 1hr 45 minutes I crashed and burned.
I had two 500ml energy drinks a single gel and a soreen. Clearly I was under fuelled and essentially anded up bonking indoors.
What would the experienced knights recommend as a fuelling strategy for this length of session?

See above for fuelling…40g carbs every 25mins worked for me…good luck!

1 Like

I just did it for the first time and thought it would be more interesting in level mode.
Turns out, that’s the only reason I got through it!
It brutalised me. I rode the last 40 minutes well under my target power and was still destroyed.
Seems like fuelling is the key. I had a couple shot blocks but that’s it. Next time I’ll bring carbs and try it properly in Erg.

So, I have completed ISLTA today for the first time having done The Bat yesterday. This thread helped a lot on the mental prep for this one since it packs a good punch on your systems.

My feeding strategy was no different from a 100km outdoor ride:

• 1 Spaghetti Aglio Olio last night (~120g pasta)
  • 1 Porridge Bowl with honey and fruits this morning (~350g)
  • 2 750ml Bidons with electrolytes and carbs
  • 2 Small Gummi Bear packs
  • 1/2 Banana
  • 2 Gels

I consumed it all throughout the session. A good fan and a towel are your best buddies on this one.

I felt that my energy levels were pretty consistent through the workout except I started feeling an energy dip after the 2nd climb, which I was able to correct in time with a pack of Gummis and a gel. The rest was okay. I started feeling tired in the last 25 min but I was able to manage through the end.

It was a great session, I have a sprinter profile but I do enjoy consistent SS/Sub Threshold sessions with a decent cadence. Somehow my trainer was in tip-top shape today which helped a lot, sometimes the power levels are a bit wobbly on other sessions.

3 Likes

I think your problem ist not realted to fueling or something. You need to do basemiles to get your body used to these longer efforts and consume fat instead of carbs.

Personaly I love to ride around 3 hours on my trainer at least once a week at zone 2-3 in power and HR and without food and only water. And I do the basetraining for 60 minutes every now an then during the week in zone 1-2. Or some fasted ride up to an hour too.

1 Like