No progress. Advice?

As you have just completed the all purpose road, I would say it makes sense to switch to a different plan to periodise your training and then in 12 weeks go back to an all purpose road. The Time Trial plan could be a good option or also the esports racing (20-50mins or 60+mins) if the focus for now is all indoor and maximising your 4DP numbers.

If you didn’t complete Full Frontal or Half Monty at the end of your last plan, make sure you schedule in the Full Frontal prep plan in the ‘Special Focus’ section first :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you very much!
I will follow this lead.
All the best to you!

2 Likes

Hey Capablanca!

Nice work on the progress - a progression in ftp of 15% is pretty damn nice, congrats!

How is your heartrate trend doing? The first thing i notice when my form improves is a decline in heartrate at the same load - e.g. 180W steady power needs fewer heartbeats because of a higher stroke volume.

With regards to reaching an FTP of 300W - i think a way larger training load and lots of time would do the trick, which might not be the answer you were looking for. I went there, but it has been 4 years and this year 14 hour weeks back to back built on a solid aerobic base. However, comparing yourself to others always yields disappointment, at least as long as there is someone out there with higher numbers, and there always will be. Better to look back and watch your own progression!

And please comment back when you have done a new 4DP test! :smiley:

*Edit; With regards to fast group rides, at least where i am from, the hard part is not keeping up with the bunch at 36 kmph, as long as your drafting technique is good (means reading the wind and staying very close to the guy in front), but having the Vo2max level required to tackle shorter climbs of 4-8 minutes where the field usually breaks apart.

2 Likes

I would be very careful trying to equate indoor power numbers to an ‘outdoor group race’! There are so many other variables and skills involved in bunch riding. Are you sitting on the wheel right in cross winds, are you overgeared on the climbs and cooking your legs early.

You may find everybody in the bunch has a similar ftp to you but their maps are off the scale meaning they can burn you with short intense accelerations.

Just keep turning up and you’ll get those skills soon too. Perseverance!!!