2 very odd questions

@emacdoug that is my situation. I tend to favor full finger gloves indoors. I never put them in the dryer. I just picked up some unpadded mountain bike glove that seem to work pretty well.

1 Like

@JGreengrass Yes I do get hot but not sure I agree that it is an ambient temperature issue as much as genetics. Right now if I am riding in the morning the temp in the garage where my bike is set up is in the low 40s F. This morning itā€™s in the 30s F.

I donā€™t wear the gloves for the padding. As I mentioned above, I am trying some unpadded mountain bike gloves which seem to be working out pretty well.

I do wear head sweatbands, often cycling (pun intended) through several during a ride. I havenā€™t found one that will last more than 30 minutes before I have to switch it out. Do you have a brand or style you favor. I havenā€™t tried wrist bands but that is a good suggestion, Thanks.

I sweat a lot and that has always been an issue for me, even in the winter when itā€™s cold and or in the summer when itā€™s hot and dry. Inside or outside. I have always been the one who is fully drenched in sweat after 30 minutes no matter where I am.

I use Bondi bands.

I used to use cotton sweatbands, but they would fill up with sweat and sag. These work much better. And fit under my helmet when I ride I outside.

2 Likes

I upgraded my fan which eliminated holy water puddles and wet hands, although my clothes are still soaked after a workout. That said, I did the upgrade in late fall just as humidity levels dropped. Iā€™ll have to wait another couple months to see if it still works when humidity goes back up.

3 Likes

I really only wear gloves when mountain biking because someone once told me gloves are for crashing. Well, guess what, I crash a lot while mountain biking. A lot of times it not my fault. Those darn migratory trees just pop out into the middle of the trail and I bust my knuckles on the bark.
I ride with a bath towel draped over the bars while inside. It catches most of the sweat and snot. Iā€™m also fairly OCD when it comes to wiping down the bike and mat. Iā€™ve seen those nasty photos of corroded handlebars and it makes my skin crawl thinking about what the bar tape looked/smelled like.

3 Likes

So by following their advice and wearing gloves you have successfully learned how to crash? I think you need better friends. :innocent:

3 Likes

Thanks I will give them a try.

I have tried HeadSweats and they are just ok. I have one from Voler that is the best of what I have tried, but I still wouldnā€™t call it great, a kind stretch to call it good.

1 Like

@Critmark My current head band is from Nike. I started using it to keep the sweat from coming down my face and it does the job. Same with the wrist sweat bands. They stop most of the sweat coming down my arms. I also use a quick dry towel for the bars. I would recommend that over a cotton towel.

You might also try a fan from behind or to the side. That works for me especially on longer rides.

2 Likes

When it comes to sweating, itā€™s not the temperature of the pain cave: itā€™s the airflow. I have pedestal fans at 45 degrees either side of my hands, plus a floor fan directly in front of me and blowing up at my torso.

My sweat evaporates so quickly that I hardly drip at all. You might want to try a similar setup.

4 Likes

@JSampson I use a quick dry towel over my bars as well. It still gets pretty wet if I donā€™t wear gloves. I also use one over a cotton towel that covers my electronics. Seems to work ok, again if I am wearing gloves.

@AlexEllermann I have tried one fan in front of me but that doesnā€™t seem to help a great deal. Fans are cheap so I may try your setup.

Thanks,

2 Likes

I use one, strong fan at about 45 degrees set pretty close to me. I make sure that it is tilted to blow air on my legs, torso and face. As noted before, I sweat just a little. With a previous, weaker fan that I had to set a bit further away, I used to sweat buckets.

Hereā€™s the fan I use: Fan

1 Like

FWIW: The body is ~25% efficient at generating cycling power. If youā€™re averaging 200W, that means youā€™re generating ~600W of waste heat. Thatā€™s a lot of heat to get rid of. A good fan breeze, low room temperature, and low humidity are all helpful in dissipating that heat.

1 Like

Listening to any podcasts lately :wink:

Are you asking me? If so, nope. I canā€™t remember ever listening to a podcast of any sort, here or elsewhere. My preference for information is reading. Iā€™ll reluctantly use Youtube when I canā€™t find what Iā€™m looking for in text/pix form. I have yet to resort to podcasts.

2 Likes

The last podcast I listened too used that exact example. Took a shot and thought you had listened to the same one.

1 Like

I will go and check that podcast out. Hopefully not to difficult to find.

Reading all of the post. I think I need to get my sweat glands checked. I barely did anything to a towel on a long indoor ride.

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I bought some wrist bands which worked great. I did It Seems Like Thin Air today (2:27) and the first pair got a bit too wet after about 90 minutes so I just swapped them out for a fresh pair. No gloves and my hands just got wet from their own sweat, which was minimal. Good solution.

Got a second fan. I had them both blowing at me from my sides, just slightly behind me. After several different positions, this worked best for me. That same 2.5 hour ride was just three towels, none as soaked as usual. That is a big win.

@Mecons I did the ride and then the run, both at 100%. I was gassed a bit but survived. Taking Monday off was a big help, then It Seems Like Thin Air today. Went surprisingly well at the time but now, two hours later, my legs are objecting quite strenuously.

1 Like

I used to be the same, sweat and towel wise. Then I upgraded my fan to a Headwind. Now I maybe use 1 or 2 paper towels for 4dP or Violator. They are pretty much just for my eyes and nose as the breeze makes my nose and eyes water but evaporates pretty much everything else. I still canā€™t believe the difference.

1 Like