Best Wearable Heart Rate Monitor, Expert Guide to Choose

I use both a Garmin FENIX 7 watch and a Garmin HRM-PRO PLUS strap, and used the standard HRM-DUAL for several years before the PRO PLUS was offered to me as a warranty replacement, since the standard HRM-DUAL straps started wrinkling or the rubber sensor areas failed in less than a year, more than once. Another failed by sending crazy numbers that were just way off and I knew the unit had gone bad.

The HRM-PRO PLUS is now a month from being 2 years old, and has been excellent, albeit with shorter battery life. I use it probably 12-15 hours a week much of the time, and the CR2032 battery lasts anywhere from 3 to 5 months. The strap design is far better, easy to adjust, stays put, hasn’t wrinkled or stretched out of shape like the other style always did, and the rubber sensor areas have stayed intact well so far. I rinse it off often, almost every use, use mild soap and hand wash maybe every dozen or so uses, and hang it to dry every use.

I’ve only begun running again within the last couple months and that’s only for short distances, mostly on my treadmill, but sometimes outdoor. The HRM-PRO PLUS has running dynamics data that it logs with every RUN (wish it did this in Hike or Walk mode, just so I could see that data when I include a run during a hike or walk, but it only records and provides that when I use the RUN mode to record on my FENIX 7. I love seeing the data, but honestly haven’t used it enough to even distinguish very much from it. It calculates pace, stride length, ground contact ratio balance, vertical ratio, and power, and will provide estimated VO2Max only if you run outdoors with GPS data. Most of that is just interesting data to me, but over time, can be useful info if I watch it and see trends.

I didn’t think I would ever spend the extra cash on the HRM-PRO PLUS but now I would buy this model again when mine fails. The better design, durability, and data provided has proven its value to me.

I have had to occasionally do without if I forgot the strap, so I made my FENIX 7 broadcast my HR to my EDGE 840 cycling computer for rides, and I will say, the data was notably not as accurate as the HRM-PRO PLUS provides. The FENIX 7 does tend to dull the response of actual heart rate changes, so it just flattens it a bit and can miss the extent of high HR response. It just slows things down a bit, so you may not see quite as much of the relative “cost” of efforts on things like intervals or undulating terrain changes. For my part, I always want the more accurate data from a heart rate strap, even though the FENIX 7 can provide at least a decent tracking of that info.

I purchased Garmin HRM-600 and its performing well for me. Thanks for your recommendations.

Hey Kathie, that’s actually a great choice. The Garmin HRM-600 is awesome if you’re using it for fitness. Chest straps are probably the best heart rate monitors for workouts.

For me though, it’s a bit different because I have an arrhythmia. I don’t really need to track my heart rate while exercising. I need to know what’s going on when I suddenly feel my heart racing or skipping beats. That’s usually when I want to check it.

The problem is, by the time I get to the hospital, everything is back to normal. :sweat_smile: My heart has the worst timing.

I was talking to my doctor about it because I can’t keep leaving work every time I get symptoms. He suggested looking into wearable ECG devices instead of just a heart rate monitor. He mentioned a few like VivaLNK, Fibriart, Kardia, and AliveCor since they can actually record an ECG when something happens. The best part is that I can share my heart report with my doctor while sitting in the office, at home, or even while traveling. This way, the doctor can prescribe medication and advise me to go to the hospital if there is a serious issue with my heart.

So that’s kind of what I’m looking for now. If anyone here has used any of those, I’d love to hear how they’ve worked in real life.

I recently got a Frontier X2. Only a couple days into it, so I don’t have much to say. I got it due to the VO2 calculations, but it looks like it does what you are looking for. The only complaint I have currently is the Heart Rate Zone settings, which are based off your Max HR and use the simple Z5 - 90%, Z4-80% etc. I am working with the company via email to get that changed to my LThr based HR zones, we’ll see where that goes. Ultimately, I am pleased (albeit early in) with the VT1 and VT2 data it provides.

Al