Burnout and Coming Back

Just a quick update to my comment.
I have this week been diagnosed with PTSD, which seems a bit drastic but upon further reading I find that it absolutely explains my symptoms. I have 5 months remaining to serve in the Military and hope that I can get some treatment and/or support before I leave.

10 Likes

Lately I’ve been riding, but dialing back the intensity to something like 60%, and riding to RPE. Some days I feel great and smash it, other days I don’t. What I’m finding is that setting the targets really low removes any pressure, but still keeps the workout engaging by providing structure.

I’m not ready to do FF yet, and I honestly don’t want to, but this is keeping me moving while still keeping it fun.

8 Likes

meh… sometimes the donuts are more fun. Don’t be too concerned, motivation will find you eventually. It always does. For me it’s when my belt becomes dangerously short! Regardless, it’s more than ok and probably normal to take several months away and explore and develop other interests.

6 Likes

Hi, many thanks for your words. I’ve actually taken myself away for a little holiday and I’m quite surprised but a few days away has changed my perspective a great deal. I feel a bit more positive about things. I’ve actually not been able to focus on the physiotherapy as my physio had to close down during lockdown. It has only just reopened and I will be going shortly for another assessment. There is only a certain amount that can be done via web. I have still quite a few things to do to get closure. If I get this done it will be a huge weight off me but then I’ve got to find a way of getting back into a routine. My role has changed and whereas I used to be able to come back home and jump on the bike I just can’t now. Other things will have to be sacrificed. I just have to decide what. I have set a goal of starting back in November as traditionally that’s when I would start training for the next season. That gives me a couple of months to just try and have some fun, get things cleared up and try and find that routine. Thanks Suzie😀

4 Likes

Certainly Covid has put a damper on training. So much harder when your goals ( I was going to Cottydale also) evaporate. And I also think we don’t recognize the stress of Covid and this election year are putting on us. One friend calls going on Facebook “Doomscrolling.” Very hard to breath and take stock, it if we didn’t workout our stress would build more. So I forgive myself if some days I don’t hit numbers and some days I set goals of hitting it hard. With winter looming and now maybe having to male a plan for a goal a year away it’s a longer perspective. Putting some $ out for a SUFCoaching just to make a longer term plan. Then pick some rides I can drive to In a day that I always wanted to do. I still find if I can get the pedals turning it’s a good day.

3 Likes

It’s funny how motivation finds you! COVID turned my work life back to shift work and destroyed any training regime I had. After a few months of donuts :doughnut: and coffee :coffee: (lots of both), I started to balloon!

The ballooning and early late shifts steered me back to my old dumb wind trainer because you can always sneak in a session under the house at anytime before or after a shift. That lead me back to SF and a brand new smart trainer. Now I’m almost back to the numbers I had 8 years ago.

If it wasn’t for the shift work I never would have tapped back into a giant seam of motivation!!

Sometimes you just have to accept it’s a cycle and roll with it!! (Pun intended)! There’s a reason for everything!!

:mountain_snow: :biking_man: :mountain:

Ps. The donuts are always fun!!

2 Likes

I have been a regular Mountain Biker over the last 25 years and took up my cycling quite seriously over the last 10 years (I am now 64). I broke my hip 3 years ago and recover completely. It took me 3 months to get back on the bike. I then started to train seriously for a marathon event later that year, and completed the 230 km’s in one go then. Its partially physical and mental. You can do whatever you set you focus and mind on! Just stay motivated!

1 Like