Cadence consistency

I’d be grateful for any tips. It seems outdoor riding my cadence is fairly consistent, put me on the indoor trainer in erg mode and it’s up and down. I’m using a separate Garmin cadence monitor, but I struggle to keep it on target. It feels that what I believe is consistent can vary by 10 rpm in a matter of seconds. I first thought it was due to my mtb and cyclocross background as pedal strokes are interrupted frequently when doing these, but it has not really improved over the past 4 months- frustrating!!!
Any thoughts…please

Assuming the cadence meter is accurate, what you need is more practice. Indoor and outdoor feel pretty different so are hard to compare. You might want to try doing some of the cadence drill workouts once or twice a week for a while. Start with Elements of Style. Then try Cadence Builds and G.O.A.T. Maybe try the no vid Cadence Builds and Holds. You’ll repeat them from time to time and will likely notice both a more even pedal stroke and better cadence control.

2 Likes

Jason,
I found that I get more consistent cadence using my trainer (DiretoXR-t) vice my Garmin pedals. Its still a bit up/down but like Pete said, indoor cadence takes practice.

1 Like

@Jason_Surridge Where are you positioning your sensor? The further out on the crank the better for accuracy. Sometimes a shoe mounted sensor can get wonky.

I agree with the other responses - it takes practice. The drill videos will go a long way and you will find a few other videos where there are some drills as part of the workout - try Mike Coty’s On Location - Gorges de la Nesque.

2 Likes

I have the sensor on the inside of the non drive crank arm about 2/3 down from the bb. I do think it’s probably me, I am used to choppy and non fluid pedalling with mtb and cross, so I think the practice/ drills idea is possibly the first thing I need to do. I’ll give it a go over the next couple of weeks and see if it gets any better. I’m concentrating on building for a 200km gravel race in the uk in April and I think I’ve go so hooked up on improving ftp etc and ignoring the basics. Back to the drawing board😁

1 Like

Sounds great. One caution: pedal stroke is a deep habit. It might take more than a couple weeks to change it.

1 Like

I have also struggled with maintaining cadence consistency. I think my “almost” smart sensor cuts in and out, particularly with lower watts. I downloaded a metronome app onto my phone . It helps me keep the pace when my attention wanders away.

1 Like

Try the podrunner podcast - multiple options of dance tracks mixed to differing bpm rates. Pick a 160bpm mix and time your pedal strokes to hit 80 bpm cadence. Then 170bpm for 85 cadence, and so on.

A tip on these is to focus on the pull up of your pedal stroke being in time to music beat rather than the push down.

I’d also recommend Elements of Style regularly.

1 Like

Elements of Style is an excellent place to start. Cadence Builds would be the next one I would recommend. You might alternate with those once a week for a month. Then progress to Cadence Builds and Holds, and after feeling quite comfortable there progress to the Technique and Drill sessions that involve single leg.

Working Cadence once a week will certainly help. I would give it a rest during your recovery weeks, or back it off to Elements of Style.

:muscle:

2 Likes