Facebook vs Forum

Me too.

1 Like

I think @Francois-Wahoo nailed it. Facebook has an ease of use that gives you access to a wide range of things.
I have lived in several cities around Australia and have friends in a lot of different places. The easiest way for me to keep up with what they are doing and to chat is through Facebook. Yeah, Facebook’s advertising and sometimes questionable algorithims about what it thinks I like are frustrating, but overall it is just easier. To then have to go to a seperate forum for my SUF news makes it less likely that I will go there all that often.
I actually make use of the email that comes from the forum and take a quick look to see if there’s anything I want to read.

Chris

2 Likes

Oh no you don’t Glen! :grinning:

Just use the search at top of home page for the Group you DO want to see and go straight there, straight off the bat. BOOM!

Your recent searches are listed so you don’t even have to type them in. :grinning:

Eg

2 Likes

I’m one who frequents FB for the interest groups and the events that that they organize. Other than that, I would happily close my account. None of my friends/family even post things other than memes…

Coming to the forums is more labored and deliberate, I.e. not as easy or casual like FB.

2 Likes

As for me, being a young-un, I don’t have an issue living without FB although I do have an account there and have hardly open the website/app these days following some very not-so-happy incident previously.

The things that are keeping me from quitting FB entirely is the same as everyone else, interest-related FB groups and the community we have on FB. But that’s not to say, the Forum here is a bad place to begin with, it just needs a better home for all things SUF.
I have been in online forums for the longest time, since I was 16 I think and I still enjoy the conversations and banter that goes around in forums as well as the more serious conversations we can have in the forum.

3 Likes

I didn’t even know there was a FB sufferfest group. I find FB’s motivations questionable at best, so I think it would be good for Wahoo to try to steer FB users to the forum.

5 Likes

I don’t do “FAKEBOOK” I listen to the drivel that my wife tells me about and have no use for that waste of time. This forum is dedicated to the platform,so why would anyone waste their time looking elsewhere for official information.
The Facebook group has a right to exist for those that want to engage in it, but it should not be the only place to find information about what’s going on here.
End old man rant

3 Likes

So I took the leap. At least temporarily. Deactivated my Facebook account but retained Messenger so those that typically use that to chat with me can still chat.

5 Likes

That leap of faith (cough… cough… Courage, I mean)! Kudos to you Sir!
I don’t feel like we are missing out on a lot without social media in the from of Facebook, Instagram, Twitter (or whatever its called now) etc.

In fact, I feel the exact opposite for those who are so engrossed with the hustle and bustle of social media.

3 Likes

Well, that didn’t last long :man_facepalming:t3:. I’m back on. Signed up for a gravel event and all the links, rules, directions, gpx file and rain alternate gpx files are linked there.

FYI, even though I just “deactivated”, it also messed up my ability to use FB messenger which, for some folks I am in touch with is their preferred method.

I think imma do what others have suggested and just get in, look at what I need and get out. :man_shrugging:t3:

3 Likes

Good luck! I too often just open the app for a quick look at something specific. And then 15 minutes later I have no idea what it was I originally came for. And then I log in 5 more times throughout the day without success. Too often it’s just a mindless time suck.

3 Likes

I found it surprisingly helpful in ending the time-suck to unfriend everyone except my immediate family, unfollow every page I had ever followed, and leave every group I’d ever joined except the small handful that was keeping me on FB. Now my wall is just an endless mess of spaghetti the algorithm is throwing at it in an effort to determine my preferences. I have no interest in it all. It’s easy now to check my notifications, click on the two or three I was looking for, and get the heck out of there.

4 Likes

I did essentially that. I eliminated all FB friends except for family and friends I really wanted to interact with. I left a bunch of my groups except for a small number I really want to be a part of. And then I began curating my content by only liking pages and posts that were either cycling related or had to do with my other favorite sports teams. And it worked great as almost all the sponsored and recommended FB algorithm content I see is cycling, baseball, or hockey related.

The two unfortunate side-effects are that 1) most of the FB algorithm content I see is actually I’m interested and I get sucked into too many rabbit holes with interesting cycling-related or other sports-related articles. And then 2) many Sundays when I open Facebook to check for something specific and I see final results for cycling races I haven’t had a chance to watch, yet. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I have never allowed anyone but a few people to access my FB. I feel good with it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I have been quite successful with this actually. Maybe it’s also because I don’t find FB interesting anymore.
But yeah, even the most recent L’etape I rode in, the gpx file and all things related to the event were shared on the FB group rather than on the webpage. I only open the FB app to access those information and that’s it.

1 Like

I suppose it may be a question of any social media vs. a forum.

I think one issue is that social media platforms have larger audiences so more people to engage with. A forum can be quiet some times. We just all need to engage more often and invite others to join.

Another issue is that Forums don’t feel like the place to share this morning’s workout screen shot and a note about how it went, while social media does. I regularly share that content on Threads, but wouldn’t think about doing it here. Maybe we should do more of that sort of thing, which would make the forum more social while still having the dialogue effect that it is designed for.

Just my two cents…My preference would be to see the Forum become even more engaged, but I do like it better than social media because it doesn’t have all the noise and ads to sift through.

5 Likes

Good answer.

While I did not deactivate my account I’ve not visited FB in probably a decade. I’m on a race team that uses the Messenger bit for communicating when and where we have team mates racing or at the track practicing which allows me to join them. Aside from that I’m socially off grid.

1 Like

X2 but… I still use it a lot to keep in toutch (see what they are doing or at least posting) with some friends that are far from me.

But for specific subjects and discussions I realy prefer foruns. Its much easier to read a full topic and getvin the discussion than in a FB group post that always feels like hiding most of the answers.

2 Likes

While writing on a social media forum :grinning::wink:

2 Likes

Actually it is a company hosted forum. Major difference.

7 Likes