How Much is Too Much?

Hi fellow Sufferlandians,

I’m currently in the first week, third month, of a three month Crit training block. I’ve been fairly strictly following the training program through the week and doing longer, endurance, rides on the weekend (~70-100km).

The program, and my ability to complete training sessions has been going well. However, as of Saturday, I’ve lost any energy (and apparent will) to complete two sessions that are well within my TSS & IF abilities.

The race I have been prepping for is in 19 days. I also have a race this week that I was going to use as a training ride (with no real intention of winning).

So my question is - would it be best to complete the rest of this week (with the exception of the race) as a recovery week?

Cheers.
Ryan.

Hi Ryan,

I’ve moved the thread to the ‘Training’ topic. Hopefully the coaches can chip in.

I’m not a coach, but it seems like you could do with a week of rest to recharge the system. The TSS and IF numbers are good guidelines, but your body will let you know when enough is enough.

I’d still do the race as a rehearsal activity for the real deal

2 Likes

@Mulletcocktail Sure - try that and also note other factors like stress levels, sleep, change in diet, hydration. Any of those could contribute to issues on the bike. With 19 days to go you probably aren’t gaining any additional fitness and should just focus on not losing too much. I have had races where I took a few extra days off, did my taper and showed up to the race and crushed it. If you think you need a bit more recovery by all means just do it.

3 Likes

Thanks!

Should had added that nothing in my diet changed. Work has been busy but sleeping well.

I’ve taken a week off and todays race is cancelled due to flooding. Feeling more energetic but enthusiasm is still low.

Cheers.

2 Likes

Hola, estaba por plantear la misma situación, he estado experimentando desánimo para entrenar y a la hora de ir en ruta, desgano total, falta de aire y fuerza, me he tomado días descanso, controlado las horas de sueño, las zonas de frecuencia en reposo y todo normal, pero no recupero el ritmo, el resumen de los estrenos los tengo enlazados a la computadora Garmin y de un mes para aka, todos los éntrenos, resultan ser no productivos, hasta compre el libro la mente del deportista, pensando que era algo más mental y emocional, pero sigo atascado en el mismo sitio.

Si encuentras la respuesta o tienen alguna sugerencia, gracias por compartirlo.

Saludos

1 Like

Hi Ryan,
It sounds like you have been going pretty well for the last few months with your training, which volume of plan and progression have you been following?
Depending on if you had done structured training previously, this can take a toll on your body and I definitely recommend having a recovery week if your body is not feeling up to it and even taking it easy at the upcoming race (save the focus for your main goal).

Here are some additional resources you may find useful

4 Likes

Hola Chopper,

Apologies for my ignorance, I hard to use translator.

Sounds like (if my translation is accurate) your fatigue may be medical. I’m certainly no Doctor but shortness of hearth isn’t a “typical” symptom of fatigue from training.

I hope you get some help with yours.

Ciao.

2 Likes

Hey Rupert,

Thanks for those. I think I’ve seen them before. Also think I may just be tired (perhaps from work stress).

I have trained consistently before, however, this was my own program and most likely less intense. Plus my group rides then weren’t as high a tempo which, as I understand, can make a significant difference.

My fatigue is definitely mental. Though I struggle to complete a reasonable training session (DNF 14 Vice Grips last night for example) I just completed a 2.5h outdoor ride with a TSS of 210, IF of .89 with a solid 1h 15m segment at just over threshold.

I’ll have a look at those links you provided. Thanks for that. But I’ve also come to the conclusion that my race is next week, so unless I stop riding altogether, I’ll still be in a pretty good space physically.

Thanks for your input.

Hola, tranquilo :v:t2:, agradezco por tomarte el tiempo en responder, leí mi comentario y creo que estuvo mal redactado, ni yo me entendí :joy:

Estaba por realizar la misma consulta que realizaste, " cuando es mucho "
He sentido desanimo hasta para entrenar, en las últimas salidas en grupo no logró recuperar mi ritmo, controlo mis zonas de frecuencia cardiaca y van al mismo ritmo, fuerza igual, pero siento que me falta aire, todos los entrenos los tengo enlazados a la aplicación de Garmin y de unos 20 días a la fecha, me indica " entreno no productivo “ los entrenos indor que antes me indicaban no más de 16 a 24 horas de descanso, ahora me indica por lo menos 36 horas para volver a entrenar.

Las salidas en grupo, suelen ser los sábados y cada salida por lo menos son de 100km, me mantenía dentro de los primeros y ahora me he vuelto el paracaídas del grupo, hasta atrás y sufriendo :joy:

Leí los artículos compartidos, analice si podía existir alguno que me indicara sobre-entrenamiento y solo el cambio de humor, pero podría ser por las horas de sueño, no he logrado dormir bien.

He estado controlando mi zona de frecuencia cardiaca cuando descanso y todo sigue igual, ninguna variante aún habiendo echo un entreno largo, regresan a su normalidad.

Lo que me tiene más pensativo es el tema del por que la computadora Garmin, es una 530, me está tirando demasiado tiempo de recuperación, llevo con ella más de 3 meses, anteriormente llevaba el control por medio de una Garmin 130 montada en la bici y adicional el reloj Fénix 5s, los mismos no me arrojaban tantas horas de recuperación para volver a entrenar.

Saludos cordiales a todos.

1 Like

Have you checked out https://intervals.icu/?

It imports all the rides and gives you a visual summary of fitness/fatigue/form/etc. I only started using it a week or so before my 200km event recently and was pretty happy how well it reflected how I felt and what I thought the SYSTM training plan was prescribing.

2 Likes

Gracias por tus ideas.

En mi opinión, dejaría los paseos en grupo y posiblemente cualquier entrenamiento de alta intensidad por un tiempo. Todo lo que he hecho durante la última semana más o menos son sesiones de baja intensidad y paseos al aire libre (en solitario) que son agradables y gratificantes. Mi fatiga se ha ido y ha vuelto el entusiasmo.

Personalmente, creo que podría haber necesitado quitarme un poco el pelo y volver a conectarme con la conducción por diversión.

Buena suerte.

Thanks for your insights.

In my opinion, I’d drop the group rides and possibly any high intensity training for a bit. All I’ve done over the past week or so is low intensity sessions and outdoor (solo) rides that are enjoyable, rewarding. My fatigue is gone and enthusiasm returned.

Personally I feel I may have needed to strip it back for a bit and reconnect with riding for the fun of it.

Good luck.

2 Likes

Thanks I’ll have a look.

2 Likes