In Defense of Sir Dan

lol!

I’m just glad I stayed above 45.

Today I averaged 84rpms while riding at 90% intensity. But yesterday, even on my first session at 85%, I averaged 80rpms. And for my second session I averaged 73rpms at 80%.

Starting with the second interval of my second Defender I had to stand on my pedals 9 or 10 times - about every 15-20 seconds - to keep my cadence from dropping into the death spiral zone.

Each one of these power spikes is me standing to try to keep my cadence from falling too far.

Without that I likely would’ve averaged around 68rpms. And that includes the recovery sections where I was still struggling to hold 80-85rpms.

Here’s my cadence for approximately the same section. The dashed line above my graph is 90rpms, the dashed line that I’m dropping below in that section is 67rpms. And the one below that is 45rpms.

Compare yesterday’s cadence to today’s. You can see I was struggling wildly yesterday while today’s was much more even - well, until the last interval that is. :grimacing:

Yesterday:

Today:

5 Likes

Very risky posting graphs this close to the Tour Sir Evan… But due to the aggregiously large amount of suffering you’re undergoing, I think it’s allowable.

I’m amazed you aren’t churning butter at 45rpm by this point in the month. Well suffered!

9 Likes

I think no Laser Goat will approach Sir Evan for the rest of his life as a result of this. Epic.

13 Likes

Defender for Dan #26 & #27 - Day 23.

Double Defender day. Do I have 1 or 2 double days left? I’m not sure. But it really started to hit me this morning how few days are left in this month and hence this challenge. And yet I still hit a dubious first when I cracked (a little bit).

Defender 1 went amazing. Averaged 90rpms at 85% intensity. Felt super strong all the way though. Thought to myself “I must be riding myself into form this week.”

Defender 2 started off with lots of regrets. High cadence abandoned me. Was in a very dark place trying to stay above 80rpms, but felt like I was still in control. Then I finally Cracked in the beginning of interval 3. Couldn’t hold 90rpms for the MAP section. Had to stand and drop down to 60-65rpms. Less than a minute after I hit the first FTP section I dropped FTP intensity to 75% and rode a low cadence and managed to save it. That 5% drop was enough and I manage to slowly build my cadence back up into the 70s by the time the interval ended. I pushed the intensity back up to 80% for the 4th and final interval which I held at over 80rpms. Ended up averaging 81rpms for the second session.

Intensity:
Defender 1: MAP 80%/FTP 85%
Defender 2: MAP 75%/FTP 80% (Int 3: 75%)
Minutes of recovery spinning: 6
Pain suckers lost: 4
New screenshots created: 3
Jersey options considered: 3
Times I cracked (a little bit): 1
Laser goats intimidated: 0
Kudos to @LukeDuncan for riding along during his KOS quest: 1x10

#HaveYouSufferedToday? #MoreThanYou

8 Likes

Your description of Defender #27 is pretty much me on Defender any time (last ridden 2 years ago Feb 20th).

2 Likes

You’ll have to join me for my final ride on the 28th! Ride it any intensity you like. I’m just trying to decide if I will attempt it at 100% in erg or in level mode.

How I feel will determine what and how I will ride my encore ride after.

3 Likes

I’ve got a date with some beta testers that week otherwise you know I’d ride with you Sir

2 Likes

Thank you and much respect, Sir David!

I will, of course, always continue to respect the laser goats… :sunglasses:

11 Likes

Even though this was for someone else, I already have it on my calendar to do just that. :+1:

5 Likes

Nice!

3 Likes

I’m in as well.

:+1:t3:

5 Likes

Sir Stuart and Cap’n Sir Ian you guys are awesome! Not nearly as awesome as Sir Evan but that bar’s been set pretty SUFfing high innit?!

Maybe a new thread to invite other domestiques to join the ride and support Sir Evan in his vomitfest of Defender ad nauseum :face_vomiting:?

2 Likes

I shuffled my Tour Prep Plan to add Defender on February 28th as well!

3 Likes

Momentum is building!

1 Like

You mean like this? I penned this last night. Great Knights think alike.

4 Likes

Defender for Dan #28 - Day 24

28 sessions of Defender now completed in tribute and honour of Sir Dan. But wait there’s more! This is not the end! The goal is still to ride all the way through the month of February. I will be riding multiple sessions on Saturday and Monday. The FINAL tribute comes on Tuesday Feb 28. Even tho I know a lot of you rode Defender the end of January in his honour….

If you are willing and able, please ride along with me in solidarity and tribute to Sir Dan, and to all those who have lost their lives on the road. Ride Defender on Feb 28 at any intensity you can muster. And afterward - if you choose - you can finish off your February challenge by riding Angels as our encore tribute to all our fallen cycling heroes and loved ones.

Today’s stats
Intensity: 80%
Final 2 minutes of each interval: 85%
Thoughts of Sir Dan: :infinity:

16 Likes

Again, literally true.

2 Likes

Here’s a little story about Angels before Knighthood was a thing.

5 Likes

#SUFHISTORY

3 Likes

Defender for Sir Dan #29 - Day 25

There’s very few things that will get me off the bike mid-ride or cut a ride short. Today was one of those days.

I had plans for 4 Defenses. Those plans are now out the window. Not sure about Monday or Tuesday. Will see how I feel or what plans I make between now and then to go stay with my mom.

Woke up early. Started just after 4:50am. Almost exactly halfway through my first Defender this morning when I got the call from my sister that my father had passed away early this morning in his sleep. He’s fought long and hard even tho he knew there was no cure for his PSP and ALS.

So I got off the bike and hugged my wife and cried. Called my mom. Cried some more. Hugged my wife and cried some more.

Then it was still early. So I got back on my bike. My bike that my dad gave me. And I cried some more while I finished Defender at a much reduced intensity. Seemed to make sense to me. I am only in love with cycling and riding this bike because of my dad. Then I rode Open 30 as a recovery and just as something to do until my son woke up. Then we told the kids and cried some more.

Maybe I’ll ride another Defender or two later today. This bike has a special connection to my dad. And so does Defender. I don’t know what I’ll do, yet. And I don’t want to let anyone down and skip riding the finale on Tuesday. But it’s too soon, yet. And Lord knows I don’t make decisions this fast. There still plenty of time for me to analyze and overthink it.

Anyway, I will keep you all posted. But if anything I really hope you all will ride the finale for Sir Dan. I hope to ride it all with you if I can and complete my tribute challenge.

Please donate to the DPF to help others who are losing their loved ones, too.

http://events.dpf.org/goto/EmacdougallTOS

27 Likes