Power Meters on E-Bikes

Will power meters work on E-Bikes or will power be overstated? Just curious as I’m looking at buying a new bike and considering an E-bike. The other option I’m exploring is electronic shifting. I guess they not necessarily mutually exclusive, but cost might become an issue. I definitely want the power meter to record workout data.

You would need a pedal based power meter.

1 Like

Just to clarify, you are referring to use on an E-Bike, correct?

I think it’ll depend on the type of e-bike and the type of power meter. I think any drive train based power meter on a hub drive e-bike will read the human power correctly. Likewise any pedal power meter on any e-bike will be correct.
I think the dubious one would be crank based power meters on mid drive ebikes!!

Just a guess though!!

Ps. I would have thought a mid drive ebike on a smart trainer would totally overstate power but would be a good way to win hilly eraces!!! :upside_down_face::upside_down_face::upside_down_face:

I’m working on an app that will have my e-bike perform SYSTM workouts on my smart trainer while I sit on the couch and watch TV.

Just kidding. I don’t have an e-bike.

1 Like

Actually, anything OTHER than pedal based power meters will capture all of the power generated. I’m looking into an e-bike and I think it will broadcast three power numbers:

1. The power you generate as an input
  2. The power the motor is generating as an add-on
  3. The total power that is being generated PLUS your power.

I’ll be finding out soon enough.

I’ll be interested to know what you find out. I see the benefits of the supplemental power on different rides, but I still want to know my generated power for training purposes.

I think there’s something on the Bosch site about what is reported for their power systems. I do know that they have to so some sort of power measurement as the various levels of add-on power are a percentage of the input.

Thanks. I’ll check it out.

If you are compare these two bikes you should must consider this [3 wheel electric bikes for seniors](https://[M-360 Adult Semi Recumbent Electric Trike For All Terrain]