Recovery after illness

Only think I will say is don’t rush it

Couple of years ago I developed a cold beginning of the summer, rushed back after it, started feeling a bit odd, and had a loss of power, but manned up as I had a race coming up and wanted to do well

Friday before the race, couldn’t breath and strong chest pains, ambulance called, spent the weekend in hospital (so didn’t do the race), was advised to rest, and had some investigations done over the next 3 months, and it was decided that ALL (!!!) I had Pericarditis (virus around the heart causing swelling)

I neither did the race (or any after) or rode with my friends, and I definitely didn’t get a FTP increase, all because I returned to quickly

1 Like

Resurrecting this thread as I am currently laid low by some dreaded lurgy (a bit more UK vocab. for you all there). Started as a sniffle 9 or 10 days ago and is currently a nasty cough and raging temperature (i.e. it could well be covid). I’ve already binned off the plan I was doing, especially since I’ve got a week away coming up and am also about to switch trainer from a Snap to a Core, which I understand will have a not insubstantial effect on measured power.

I’m hoping to be able to do at least a few Inspiration rides on the new trainer before going away and have just been sorting a HM prep week for when I get back. It goes:

Sat: Recharger
Sun: Hobart City & No Place Like Home
Mon: Getting Away With It
Tue: Rest Day
We’d: To Get To The Other Side
Thur: Primers
Fri: Rest Day
Sat: Half Monty

The week preceding that will mostly have been spent eating local cheese and drinking local beer in the Yorkshire Dales. A large amount of hiking will also be done in a futile effort to balance it out. I fully expect my numbers to have suffered significantly by the time I get to that HM!

1 Like