Struggling to lose weight

I would advise eating calorically dense and nutrient dense foods. What I would recommend examining is your insulin levels. Sugar and other highly processed and refined foods tend to cause insulin levels to spike and then plummet. The rapid drop in insulin levels creates a hormonal sensation of hunger. You will hear folks who are super into high fat and intermittent fasting talking about this plight for those who eat high carb diets and eat often. I am not advising to eat high fat, nor am I advising to practice intermittent fasting, but realizing this hormonal hunger feeling does occur in individuals that are consistently and frequently consuming highly processed high carbohydrate calories. So to cut to the chase, always do your research, discuss your findings with a trusted professional, like your physician and or licensed nutritionist, try out a plan and make observations and discuss your observations with your trusted professional and be open to make improvements as you collect more data.

2 Likes

This is really insightful @WahooCoach_Corey! Thank you very much.

Just a curious question when talking about consuming eggs, I have heard and read about consuming too much eggs will increase HDL cholesterol levels on numerous occasions. How many eggs would be considered too much to consume in a day?

Same here for me and where I live in Malaysia, rice is a staple. Of the few more affordable rice we have, it would be brown rice and if budget allows, Basmati rice.
For me I tend to reduce my intake of carbs for dinner but instead, consume equal portions of vegetables and chicken.

This is really helpful - thanks @WahooCoach_Corey

Great questions. Concerning eggs, again, I would recommend discussing if this is right for you with your doctor. In lots of individuals eggs do not have a dramatic effect on cholesterol levels, certainly in comparison to saturated fat. For recommendation on how many eggs to eat, I would suggest talking with your health care provider, but generally speaking three to four eggs per week is safe in most cases.

1 Like

@DarrenWCKam Depends on how your body processes saturated fats and also the cooking methods matter too. Fried eggs in coconut oil may not be too good for anyone long term. A six minute egg in boiling water in a sandwich or over rice or grains may be okay.

Some of the literature about eggs involves safe handling. Definitely make sure you are not cross contaminating foods like vegetables with eggs or chicken.

1 Like

Crikey, I sometimes eat 6 eggs a day and that’s a few days a week. My split cholesterol numbers are fabulous though and I don’t eat saturated fats and am working with a registered dietician.

4 Likes

a lot of this is personal (genetic), just like caffeine. meaning some folks have to carefully watch thigns like eggs lest they get high cholesterol, others can eat eggs until they are blue in the face

1 Like

I’d swap my egg eating capabilities for chocolate eating capabilities any day. Any takers? :grin:

5 Likes

I have a virtually unlimited chocolate eating capacity. Also chips/crisps, cakes, ice cream, cheese, flavoured popcorn (also buttered and salted) pizza and pastries. I do find it a challenge to drink 2 bottles of water over a 4-5 hour ride though :joy::joy::joy:

7 Likes

As long as we get bicarb as well ……

No reflux issues here, am sure I can transfer that across too :rofl:

That would mean I would have to give up a basic food group.

Firstly, thank you so much for that insight @WahooCoach_Corey!
@DameLisa I had the same reaction too because the same week before my Knighthood quest, I was sort of like having an egg a day leading. :sweat_smile:
Admittedly Sir @JSampson, I did have like 5 days worth of boiled eggs in my eating plan before the Knighthood and I have yet to take a full blood test. High time to get one later this year and see if I am all good. :blush:

Me!

1 Like

I eat zero eggs a day or a week or a year. I can only eat eggs if they are massively mixed into things like cake or french toast or fried rice. I can’t stand to eat eggs on their own or anything that tastes or smells like eggs. My wife once made 100 small egg salad sandwiches for a bridal shower and needed me to help her peel a bowl full of hard boiled eggs. Just the smell had me on the edge of nausea the entire time. :nauseated_face:

I’ll take the chocolate. You can keep the eggs.

But I remember not too many years ago that eggs were suddenly considered back because of their high cholesterol. But later nutritionists were able to show that cholesterol in a food doesn’t translated directly to cholesterol in your blood stream. Just like how nutritionists are also now showing the same with fats and how you are actually healthier if you eat plenty of healthy fats, and eating added sugar (which is the usual replacement for fat in low fat foots) is much much worse than eating the fat its replacing. Eggs are now back to being considered a super food. And just like salt, some people can eat a ton and it doesn’t bother them. But some people don’t tolerate it and have to be careful. No body is the same which the more you learn makes blanket statements about food much harder to make.

4 Likes

Yep that individual thing is so true. I don’t have coeliac or gluten intolerance but cannot cope with things like bread and pasta (and cake sadly) so just don’t have them now. And I gave up dairy for a year while breast feeding because it turns out my daughter has a cows milk protein allergy and she was reacting to the cow’s milk I was having. Turns out a year of no dairy means I no longer produce the enzyme to digest it so I can’t cope with too much of that either :broken_heart:

I also totally get that the smell of eggs can be off putting. I was never a huge fan until we had our own chook flock.

3 Likes

Happy Cakeday Sir Evan!

I used to dislike half-boiled eggs due to the raw smell, and boiled eggs itself too weren’t something I really fancy either. Just like you, I prefer to have them cooked with something else like for instance in canned baked beans or fried eggs.

Totally agree with you Dame Lisa! It’s a true testament of “one man’s meat is another man’s poison”
It turns out that a lot food which we hate (more like I hate) are high in nutritional value.

Going back to the topic of losing weight, a huge part of it is down what we eat and how much we eat.

3 Likes

Haha. I know that you meant this earnestly but I laughed when I read that Sir. Sorry. The sad/frustrating but true thing is many people know exactly what they need to do if they want to lose weight and keep it off. But, if it was easy…

4 Likes

No offence taken Sir and I totally agree with you on that statement. I think the other thing factor is, self discipline :smile: which we are all too aware of it, that it’s not easy.
Admittedly, I am guilty too for munching on too much crisps at times. You know, life’s good #LG :rofl:

I get that. I ate very few eggs until we started to get them from our backyard.

1 Like

Heck I eat 2 eggs almost every morning.

My biggest issue with losing weight I think is snacking followed by portion sizes.

2 Likes