The mind will quit before the body/legs?

I go into every workout with the mindset that “I’m going to crush this and achieve my goal!” but 9 times out of 10 my body has other plans. For example, today I did a sprint workout and decided in my mind that I was going to break 600w in at least one of the five 10 second sprints but despite my best effort and despite having my mind “made up” I was only able to hit a max sprint of 546w😕. I hit each of the 10 second sprints in my chosen gear as hard as I possibly could but after about 6 seconds into each sprint my legs started to fade. Having your mind “in the game” doesn’t matter if your body has other plans. This seems to happen quite often with me🤷🏻‍♂️

1 Like

Yes and no. Whilst there most certainly are days when your body isn’t as ready as the mind, but having an even more positive attitude WILL help. The reason we fatigue on anaerobic efforts like that is because of a decrease in pH due to increased hydrogen ions. Most people call it quits well before muscle tissue will actually fail to work from a physiological point of view…

2 Likes

Your body not being able to accomplish a effort is understandable, especially if you don’t have a history of sustained training or experience doing that effort. However, how you self talk and handle situations before, during and after the effort will directly affect your ability to crush your goals or not.

Positive Self Talk in the mental strength training program goes over this exact thing.

2 Likes

Hey, that is an awesome target to set yourself. A lot of it can come down to your recent training and if you are carrying over fatigue from a previous workout.
Consistency is key in training so keep working at it and you will hit those numbers!

1 Like

The discussion goes Shut up legs… I said shut up legs…what was that you said?..your tired ? (picture the minions laughing at the suggestion)…what was that? you are going to stop anyway?? oh OK …cannot focus on sick bucket hope I don’t miss

2 Likes