Training and Diabetes

I am struggling with training, weight loss and a low-carb diet due to Type 2 diabetes. I have been seeing a dietician and been told that I should not add any additional carbs on days that I plan for longer rides or more intense work outs. I feel very lethargic when I eat more proteins and sometimes it upsets my stomach. Any advice?

1 Like

Maybe it’s because we take longer to digest animal protein. You can discuss with your dietician a more detailed diet plan with protein variations including vegetal ones. And find those that make you feel better.
Also some intwrsting books that can be helpfull
The Cycling Chef, Alan Murchison.
https://play.google.com/store/books/details?id=IqB8DwAAQBAJ

1 Like

Just out of curiously, are you on medication , or it is diet / exercise controlled?
I’ve managed to control mine for about 5+ years through weight loss (20+ Kgs) . It was difficult to start but once the weight starts coming off it all gains momentum.
Maybe get a blood glucose monitor and then monitor Blood sugar levels and learn how your body reacts to inputs , eg I know I can’t drink a lot of milk, unless it’s lactose free, as it spikes my blood sugar)

1 Like

Hi Migmatite,
Unfortunately no specific advice for you but just wanted to assure you that it is possible to manage diabetes (T1 or T2) and lead a very active lifestyle and train at high volume/ intensity. A few years ago a team of T2 Diabetes riders completed the RAAM (Race Across America).
I am myself T1D and can assure you the first few months-years as you get the BGL management under control can be very frustrating but in the long run has enabled me to live active, healthy life WITH diabetes. A good Diabetes Educator or Endocrinologist can also be a big help.
Justin

4 Likes

Great to see Justin Morris here! For those who don’t know him, Justin is a former pro cyclist with Team Novo Nordisk and a T1 diabetic himself. He is also an ambassador for the team and a friend of mine down here in Hobart, Tasmania.

3 Likes

I am on meds currently. My A1C is down and I feel like I am getting close to managing it with diet but I will let the doctor make that call. I beat it once and then slipped back to my old ways as my joints started giving me issues. I have never monitored glucose levels but the neuropathy tells me when I have over-carbed pretty quickly. I am slowly increasing the intensity of my workouts and dropping weight. The weight is going a lot slower than I would like but I feel that it is a combination of not dieting the way that I used to and having to cut back on workout due to knee and hip issues. Trying to stay under 185g of carbs is hard for me. I am used to eating a lot of fruit and rice or baked potatoes when dieting so cutting back on carbs has made me feel less energetic. I am down about 60 pounds so far but its going slow now.

1 Like