Training for older athletes

Revolver?

2 Likes

That’s it!

2 Likes

That’s good way to individualize your program. I have a lot of athletes that do similar- a 3:1 with more days in between hard efforts.

5 Likes

I do the same thing, although I limit how much I’ll extend the plan to 3 or 4 days. My logic is that the recovery week matters more, but I don’t really know.

1 Like

It all depends on what works best for you. Remember in The podcast when Neal was talking about Ned Overhand taking 16 weeks to complete a plan vs 12 weeks when he was younger.
We all have to find out our own right dosage of work/recovery. We are all experiments of one.

Cheers,
Spencer

5 Likes

Or there is the modern version:

That’s more like luge on wheels.

1 Like

I believe in the luge you can be partially in the upright position. I do know somebody who participated in the Olympic skeleton event. That is head first; you have to be almost suicidal to do that.

If I remember correctly the highest level sprinters can produce a 1000 watt sprint with their hands!

2 Likes

Sounds good to me,

Just did that workout. It’s at the end of Revolver.

2 Likes

If i was averaging 18mph, and wanting more,i would think i had got the balance right

1 Like

The benefits of stretching via scheduled yoga and strength training along with a plan to follow that encourages rest have paid major rewards for me since taking up Sufferfest/SYSTM. I am often the ‘elder statesman’ of the club ride, sometime by 15+ years. Dedication to that time on the trainer during the week has allowed to still enjoy these without the entire 3 to 4 hours being terrible.

4 Likes

Agreed! I’m 62 and lead an eSports TTT team of women cyclists age 60-77. Recovery is key as we age!

7 Likes

I’m the same age as you and agree with others here who are advocating recovery days. You don’t need to be sedentary on those days but do something other than cycling, like going for a hike. Also, if you are not doing it already, get some strength training in there. Older cyclists I know who do nothing but ride have lousy posture and poor core strength.

6 Likes

Yes! to strength training. I definitely need more recovery as I age (53 this year), but strength training has made long rides less painful, kept me from injury, and corrected the strength imbalances that made me move in less healthy ways off bike. I still get sore, but I don’t get backaches, joint pain, or muscle cramps anymore.

I started with Systm strength and saw great benefits, but joined a gym ten months ago so I could learn how to lift weights and will never look back. I feel at least ten years younger and have never had such power or endurance in my life.

12 Likes

Hi Cristy! What is your weekly weights regime if I may ask? I am relying on lots/years of pilates but I’ve noticed the longer rides you are doing on Strava and as you say power and endurance have clearly improved!

I started working with a personal trainer last fall with the goal of improving my movement patterns and addressing strength imbalances. Working one on one once per week and going to a strength class once per week, I’ve been doing a lot of work on my backside and core, particularly squats and lunges, deadlifts, and presses, and various weighted planks, pushups, wall sits, etc.

If you’re a Pilates veteran, you likely don’t have the same weaknesses I have, but as we get older it’s harder to keep the muscle we have and so lifting heavy things really helps!

3 Likes

I do the Systm strength training program as well as the normal cycling workouts. Thanks