What topics would you like us to Cover?

Have any topics that you’d like us to discuss?
Add it here as a comment.
If you agree with the topics others post give that comment a like!

9 Likes

Just because we briefly talked about it once I’d be interested in a discussion about how a primary interest in a different sport in earlier life leads to, or not, a bias in your cycling performance/profile if cycling becomes a thing in “later” life. Is your rider profile pretty much fixed because of what you did in your formative years or is it still adaptable? I know many people here have come to cycling, or the indoor trainy variant of it, from something else. You and I (I much later than you!) did it from racket sports. Roglic did it from ski jumping, Woods from running, Evenepoel from football etc

5 Likes

This is a great idea. I’m not an anatomy and physiology expert by any means but hearing some expert insights about whether I’m “fixed” or can train my way to my goals, even into middle age, would be fantastic (or tremendously disappointing :joy: ).

3 Likes

As I requested in another thread, I would like you to cover how to integrate yoga and strength training together.

10 Likes

What types of training is most optimal for weight loss for us big guys. Most of what I see is for those who are already fit who are just trying to shave off a few pounds for race season, but how about us big gents (280lbs myself) who could stand to lose 80-100lbs? I know nutrition plays a big role in weight loss and being in a calorie deficit is the name of the game (lost 30lbs so far via changes to my eating habits) but on the exercise side of things is it better to do high volume low intensity, HIIT style workout or is it better to just train like a normal individual for fitness gains and let my weight sort itself out through proper nutrition and moderation?

11 Likes

What do you guys think about HRV and Resting/Active Heart Rate as training parameters?

I have been recording HRV for about a year now and heart rate since forever ago. I am a huge fan of heart rate for training, since I have decades of data and can see the effects of heat, cold, overtraining, undertraining, going out too hard in a race or climb, etc. that is all form fitted to me!

So far, I have not seen much in my nighttime HRV data that I could not surmise from my resting heart rate data, which makes sense as those two variables have the highest correlation (by far) of anything I measure while sleeping. I am not saying that it is useless, but I do not see it as essential either. Is it just too early for us to know what to do with it?

7 Likes
  1. A discussion of the blip (@Coach.Neal.H’s momentary lapse of kindness), W’ and TTE.

2. Discuss 4DP fitness tracking vs TSS and CTL chasing.

3. Not Overtraining - seeing numerous posts about training plans leading to a perceived loss of fitness due to lower volume.

8 Likes

I’d be interested in any points of view about balance and how your dominant sides vary, if your right handed is it always your left side that has better balance. How difficult can it be to train that side which isn’t as good balance wise to be as good as the other ? How much can having a smaller foot even if it’s just mm’s impact your balance/agility in workouts whether it’s running or cycling or other sports.

1 Like

It has been discussed on the forums before, but I’m liking the podcast format (I don’t usually…)

A discussion on the important how/why aspects of a well constructed training plan. Most SUF plans seem to work around the 2/3 hard sessions, a recovery session or 2 and an endurance ride or 2. Put the science to this and talk about what to miss/what to make sure you do when life gets in the way.

I think it woudl help us keen amateurs to feel ok about missing a workout and/or feel comfortable with adjusting things to fit our non-pro schedules. Plus, science is good.

6 Likes

Hey Coach Mac,

I’d be quite interested in some stories of some of the elite athletes you worked with (even if you don’t name them) - things like the workouts you did, working on weaknesses, some of the physiological differences, responses to training, responses to missing training, stuff you found out by chance with them. All that stuff.

Would also love to hear your thoughts on getting back into training after illness, injury, time away. That always seems popular on the forum.

And, one that always gets me…how do track sprinters get such good muscle development while staying so fit? How do they get round the DOMS? Often it’s said that cardio and muscle building aren’t the best of friends…clearly something works for them.

Really enjoy the podcasts. I think they should be part of the training plans tbh.

4 Likes

+1

1 Like

I suffer from shoulder impingement on both sides, mainly caused by overuse and age (66). I train 8 to 12 hours per week on the bike in addition to intensive physical therapy for the condition. A discussion on cycling’s contribution to shoulder impingement would be of interest to me. I have been researching shoulder impingement with a focus on anatomy and corrective action for quite some time but have not come across anything specifically related to cycling as a cause or contributor of the condition.

1 Like

I’m interested in learning more about dose-response to training, how much it varies by person, why, and if there are things people can do to improve their dose-response characteristics.

1 Like

A discussion of testing and the do’s/don’ts of testing

e.g. how often to test, when should you question results, can you over prepare for a test etc.

6 Likes

Agreed.

Awesome one!

Was an amateur power lifter in my earlier days. Now I don’t even have to think about sprinting and it’s 1200+ w on a whim.

Kettlebells have done wonders for my shoulders these last 8+ weeks.

Tipped into this on the pro rides forum - but would like some insights into the drivers of HR & Power in like for like types of efforts indoors and out but under the guise of race-like or in race events. Yeah, not the same, but how do you get training to get as close to a race as possible without the competition, the atmosphere, the adrenaline on the start line making your BPM hot 20+ more than it should.

Effectively, how do you ratchet up training on those race like days to actually mimic race like efforts and elicit race like power and HR numbers.

I can get close, but they’re just not the same.

I feel like if I can unlock how to get there in training, it will improve the results in races even more.

There is a stark contrast between the explanations in the workouts themselves, and the explanations of how the plans are put together.

From a September 3rd post elsewhere:

“For those big days I count calories - pre, during and post. I’ve found Eating to Suffer: Using Nutrition to Get the Most Out of Your Training – The Sufferfest to be invaluable in guiding me on this”

The link doesn’t retrieve the article described. Are the seemingly useful old Sufferfest posts available still?

Thanks.

1 Like