What's the race at start of Revolver?

At the start of Revolver, there is a track race where one rider is way ahead of the rest of the pack. What’s going on? Is it a pursuit of some kind, or has the rider just risked shooting off ahead at the start and then hopes to keep the gap.

1 Like

I think that’s the women’s points race at the 2012 track worlds in Melbourne. The rider is trying to “gain a lap” on the field for extra points. If my first think is right then my second think is that it’s Stephanie Pohl of Germany and that she didn’t succeed.

3 Likes

She was German so you are probably right.

I’ll have a look at points races. I’ve not watched any type of racing beyond what has been on GCN, some are obvious but some need some extra explanation.

1 Like

There’s a whole other world of sitting on your couch watching exciting bike races available to you once you discover track cycling as a spectator sport. And also a whole other world of trying to understand what’s going on! And then you can have The Omnium as one of your favourite SUF workouts and who wouldn’t want that :wink:

4 Likes

I do like the Omnium, so I’ll have to check some out.

I’m two days late, but was thinking of signing up for the GCN race pass to watch the Tour, is there anywhere else I should be looking for races? The rest of the family isn’t interested, and I don’t have any of the sports TV packages, so don’t want to pay too much for watching stuff.

1 Like

You’ll need to say what country you’re in. An answer from someone in the UK, for example, may be very different to an answer that works for you…

1 Like

I’m in the UK.

1 Like

ITV4 for the TdF and sometimes others. BBC covers some track racing. Eurosport does pretty much everything but you have to pay for that - GCN app may be better value there, dunno, I like to watch TV.

1 Like

I signed up for the GCN race pass for a month to see how I found watching the Tour, I’ll have a look at what else is on there and also checkout ITV 4

1 Like

You need to watch a few Madison’s. Amazing skills by those guys and girls performed at threshold. It does take a bit of research to work out how the race works though!!

I’d never heard of it so just looked it up and will check it out.