Worth upgrade to smart trainer?

Currently have a Cyclops Fluid trainer and PowerTap wheels. Would there be a big advantage to upgrading to a smart trainer, or are most sufferfest videos better in level mode, so no big advantage to getting a trainer with erg mode? Not sure if an upgrade to a direct drive is feasible this year, so let’s do comparison to Kickr Snap or M2.
Thoughts?

1 Like

Definitely worth getting a smart trainer, it does not have to be a direct drive, even a flow or vortex from Tacx will work a treat. I used the Satori for over a year.

2 Likes

The Kickr Snap is by far the best wheel-on smart trainer that I’ve ridden. Even better, you can now get seamless software and hardware support if you use Wahoo products along with The Sufferfest! If you do have chance to get a direct drive trainer though, it really can be worth it. The Kickr Core is a great option if you don’t want to spend quite as much as you would on a Kickr.

6 Likes

After years of a dumb spin bike with power meter, I moved to a Kickr Snap. So much better! I was getting burned out with the constant fiddling with the resistance. Now I just pedal!!! :grin:

1 Like

I bought a Kickr Core a couple of years ago, after many years on various dumb trainers - I love it. Nowadays I mainly leave it erg mode and keep my eye on cadence and I get great workouts

2 Likes

it’s a massive difference, it’s mostly things like the fastest part of Violator and the standing starts theat need to be in level mode (and of course fullfrontal)

1 Like

I was as well long time thinking about to upgrade from “dumb” trainer+powermeter to a smart trainer. Finally I did the move to a smart trainer (Kickr Core) this January and it puts indoor training to a new level I would say! With that moving to a smart trainer I say for sure YES.
Doing the move I would really spend a though on maybe saving more money and going for a direct drive trainer. With that you would also getting away from the rear wheel, which is a bonus regarding noise level and maybe even accuracy (not sure about that one, but I guess here are some guys around, knowing that).

1 Like

in my opinion it’s definitely worth it, i personally started with a Tacx Vortex smart and on a small budget a very worthy trainer. After having experienced the feel advantages i upgraded to a Tacx neo, and have been hapily training since then. Less fuzz just focus on pedalling, only gear changes i do is when doing Full Frontal or Half Monty in the level mode as the Neo is fast enough on all videos (at least for me so far). Hope this helps

1 Like

Another yes vote from me - was lucky to be able to buy a Tacx Neo a while back - and what a difference it has made. Can ‘just ride’ anytime, no faffig, accurate numbers, it makes sessions start’able in the first place for me

Just to give a bit of balance…

I’ve been using a KK Road Machine (Dumb, wheel on) trainer for 8 years now. I don’t think I’d ever want to switch.

Have tried a Neo (borrowed)… for me personally, I just didn’t like the feedback from the trainer, felt too much faff getting ERG etc sorted, also too much software intervention/failures.

I just love the way my KK makes me work. Bike on, tighten the resistance knob 2 turns, climb on and we’re away! Will also probably outlast me.

Just my tuppence worth. :thinking:

2 Likes

I spent 4 years on a fluid trainer, an Elite fluid Tuno, and they are good. They do lack the mass inertia of magnetic based smart trainers. I got a kickr core, I felt after so many years I could justify the upgrade.

Biggest benefit I think is the reduction in cognitive load. The machine does all the changes for you, so you don’t have to be constantly precalculating your gear changes to match the upcoming power and cadence targets.

From a pure workout perspective, I found I could adhere to the targets pretty well with a ‘dumb’ trainer, I don’t think a smart trainer offers much over a ‘dumb’ trainer here.

Also, erg mode takes no prisoners, if you upgrade, you’ll experience its merciless need to keep its power feed and some days it will crush you.

1 Like

Hey @rebecca.bell what does that mean, exactly? The Minions are able to provide support on Wahoo Kickr trainers and other sensors?

I’m asking because I’m hoping to see more integration between The Sufferfest and my Wahoo products, including my Roam. (e.g., outdoor workouts!)

1 Like

@jfc Yes, now that we are part of Wahoo we can make sure you get quick and excellent service for both hardware and software. Sometimes people come in with what looks like an app issue but it turns into a trainer/sensor issue (or vice versa), we’ve got agents to help with all of it now! No need to email another company’s support team and wait for them to help you and explain the problem all over again.

Integrating SUF into your Roam would be amazing! I absolutely have that on our feature request list :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Yes indeed, having the outdoor rides and shorter workouts on my Elemnt would be very helpful, also for using the rollers.

2 Likes

I seem to be going against the grain here but I actually don’t think it is worth upgrading. I do most of the sessions in level mode so the smart trainer bit is redundant (even though I have one). Erg means you have to be really really keen to hit your targets. If you start and find you are feeling a bit off or a bit fatigued and you are in ERG mode it will crush you and the session is over or at least you have to stop and dial down the intensity. Whereas in level you can just rider as slightly less intensity (couchlandrian tendencies happen every so often). The flip side is in level mode and you are feeling strong then you can ride at higher intensity whereas ERG won’t let you do that. (again have to stop and dial up the intensity).

3 Likes

I understand what you are saying about ERG mode and crushing you. My setup is my iPhone mounted to my bike and streamed to my Apple TV. So if I do have to increase or decrease the intensity I just tap my phone. No reason to stop.

1 Like

I may be the only one to say no on this. I had a Cyclops Fluid Pro with a crank based power meter and it was fine. I did buy a Tacx Flux S from a friend at a really good deal and it’s been great from a noise standpoint and the ERG mode is very nice but I don’t feel like my training has been any better because of it. Other than the noise factor, I wouldn’t buy a direct smart trainer at full price. If you can find a deal on one, then it is a very nice experience but certainly won’t make you any faster than the dumb trainer if you already have a power meter.

1 Like

I think it depends on how long your planned intervals are. If they are too short even a wheel on trainer isn’t quick enough and if they are 20 minutes it doesn’t matter. It’s in the middle it is worth it & if you want to simulate a particular climb. I’d say from about 1 minute to 10 minute, otherwise save your money.

1 Like

What about utilising the proprietary Wahoo features in their sensors? For example, I have a Wahoo Tickr X that has a ‘double tap’ setting and can transmit indoor cycling cadence to the Wahoo app. The double tap to start and stop would be particularly useful, or maybe to switch between Erg and Slope etc. It can also do running vertical movement etc. I’ve tried that cycling though and I’m not sure it is sensitive enough.

1 Like

Actually even if the intervals are 20 minutes they matter on a spin bike! The resistance of the felt brake pads can change rather randomly. So even on a long steady interval I still spent a fair amount of time fiddling with the resistance. Yes I could have just moved to a dumb trainer but for a bit more money I picked up a Kickr Snap.

1 Like