Age Group discussions

Approaching 74, it’s increasingly interesting to me to know how other riders my age handle training challenges. There are many riders on Strava in the 70-74 age group who put me to shame with their times and power output on Strava segments and that motivates me not to settle for what seems hard on a workout but perhaps could be a lot better. Has The Sufferfest considered age-grouped 4DP ranges?

5 Likes

+1 re the SUF experts views on this would be handy. insight from @Coach.Mac.C and others on approaches as we age and expectations and thought would be really useful. Pick any category breakdown we feel like. Strava have one or just use the decades, whatever

1 Like

I do believe that Half Monty takes additional factors, such as age, into account when calculating results.
This can work both ways though - for someone physiologically young, an FTP setting may be set too low if age is taken into account, and vice-versa.

I didn’t know that.
It tends to tell me my ftp is about 20-25% lower than my FF results so sadly I will only really use that now if it’s part of a programme …

Some of the test subjects for the Half Monty were in their 60s, I don’t know how or if age factors into test results.

I’m pretty sure age is a factor:

(I have the transcript somewhere in one of my blog posts)

I was one of the test subjects as well … lots of HM in the days before a FF … fun

Martin.

1 Like

I am 65 and have only been onSufferfest for about 3 months and riding about 16. I have often wondered how many people my age are here. The good news is that the plan I just finished increased my ftp by 28 watts, the bad news is that my workouts will be harder.

7 Likes

I am 68 and still improving

6 Likes

As both a member in the “mature club” and a trainer/coach for 45 years. The best thing you can include in your training , besides The Sufferfest of course, is strength training. Whether it’s SUF Strength or other resistance modalities, as we age, getting stronger and maintaining muscle mass is paramount to both fitness and health.

5 Likes

Thanks @Coach.Spencer.R — reminds me despite being tired I’d better get some done.

When it comes to age and training adaptations, of course it becomes harder and you may not see gains as large as when you were younger. But the beauty of testing with Full Frontal and the 4DP model is that the workouts are tailored to your individual fitness based on your 4DP results, no matter how old or young you are.
Just remember that like @Coach.Spencer.R said, strength training is very important as you age, and the other big factor is recovery. Naturally it will take you longer to recover in between hard sessions than it used to, so allowing yourself some grace and a couple extra days (of which you can do recovery spins, cadence drills, etc.) is perfectly ok and highly encouraged!

7 Likes

What? Take some longer to recover… never signed up for that … I’m leaving … lol

It would be interesting if there was (given the amount of data SUF have for folks in the 40, 50, 60 plus category (and so on I’m sure) what the science says if anything - could be that globally in a training sense there isn’t much actual full on lab testing done as it’s focussed on the best of the best with olympics and stuff like that in mind.
But if there is, would be cool to get any insight available.

2 Likes

Too right Sir Martin, older riders should take less time for recovery as they have less time left

2 Likes

That’s a very good point sir. Off to find my bike and ride 201km I reckon :slight_smile:
I hope the vague humor works before we get pilloried …

2 Likes

The hardest part of recovery when you’re older is the rest day on a recovery week when your buddy wants to go for a ride. You know better but… You live in a poor weather area and outdoor riding season is maybe 6 1/2 months you can’t say no. You Go on a nice climbing ride and wreck your recovery . Next weeks intervals will really hurt.

3 Likes

I’m 60 and I know there are tons of people my age or older who are a lot fitter and faster than me, but I know that I’m in better shape than 95% of the people my age who sit on their butts all day. So I don’t worry about it.

6 Likes

Sorry to bump this old thread but this is exactly my question. Recovery. I’m new to Sufferfest and just added the fitness kickstarter to my calendar. At almost 63 I’m wondering about the back to back workout sessions it has. I’ve read in Joe Friel’s “Fast After 50” book he recommends no more than 2 HIIT like sessions per week for the 60+ cyclist. Do the training plans account for age when they get added to the calendar?

3 Likes

Mature? I’ve seen you jump tabletops on a BMX bike, Sir Spencer… (we shan’t mention the broken bones…)

3 Likes

some background knowledge on (endurance) sport and age by the great Ross Tucker

Ross is a professor for sports science in Stellenbosch, SA and great in explaining stuff, I’ve been able to listen to him at several sports med. conferences, always highly informative
5 Likes