Sufferlandria/Wahooligan age demographics?

I wonder what the age distribution is for members here. Has it ever been published/discussed? Of course Wahoo knows, but they may be reluctant to release it, considering it propriety to their business. I do get the sense there are a good number 60+ members.

3 Likes

I think so too. It would be helpful to understand the demographics behind the data used to build the plans and workouts.

1 Like

I shall reveal mine and start the ball rolling, from Malaysia and in my early 30s. :smiley:

I wonder if actually one of the youngest here considering that like you @Saddlesaur, I too have a sense that quite a lot here who are in their late 50s and early 60s

3 Likes

Today i completed my first workout
Im an RGT user and have tried SYSTM X for the first time. Iā€™ll be 75 in 4 days time

14 Likes

Iā€™m 69. Thereā€™s another thread, ā€œTraining for older athletes,ā€ that relates to my wondering about this. I really like 4DP and think the plans are great, and very broadly applicable to riders up into their 50s without much modification. For me, it wasnā€™t until getting into mid 60s that things started to change more rapidly. (Thereā€™s a reason USA Medicare and SS kick in ~65). Thereā€™s quite a bit of individual variation, but everybody starts declining significantly more rapidly around this age. Certainly if youā€™re out of shape at 65 and start training regularly, youā€™ll very likely be way better at 66 and 67 than you were at 65. But if youā€™re training and in very good shape at 65, youā€™re going to be heading downhill from there. In any case, training plans will need to be modified. Iā€™d like to see a 4DP system that include some aspects of age and decrepitude as a dimension that adjusts workouts and plans accordingly. I believe there are already many 60+ members here, and I believe 60+ riders make up a larger fraction of riders in proportion the their numbers. Maybe Wahoo will see doing this as an opportunity to attract significantly more members.

4 Likes

Iā€™m 58. Iā€™ve been riding (never racing) for decades, but massively reduced riding for almost 10 years after a big crash in 2012. Mostly subconscious fear, I think. Started high volume riding again summer of 2021.

4 Likes

I am half way through my 66th year, so I guess I donā€™t have much to look forward to! :worried:

3 Likes

Yep. Iā€™ve reset my perspective and aspirations a while ago. Now, Iā€™m quite happy to do as well as I can and enjoy the effort, training, and riding despite the comparative decline. For one thing, Iā€™ve switched to mtb almost exclusively. For me, road riding has mainly been about hammering, climbing and being competitive. I like riding mtb solo, being out in the woods and mountains, and challenging my self with tough tech climbs and developing skills. Thereā€™s way more variety in mtbing.

1 Like

Well I miss that ā€quite a lotā€ category - early 50s (54) ā€¦ for a few months more :partying_face::partying_face::partying_face:. Started cycling ā€˜seriouslyā€™ just under 2 years ago and know I am nowhere near my potential! Most importantly though, the last time I was this fit and healthy was in my 20s when I was doing karate, fighting competitively and instructing.

4 Likes
  1. I still think Iā€™m 38 tho.
2 Likes

Iā€™ve been 25 for the last 20 years :grinning:

9 Likes

How old were you when your run of being 25 started?

2 Likes

9 Likes

:joy: :joy: :joy:

2 Likes

I apologise if this came across as being a bit flippant but thereā€™s more than a shred of truth in it.

When I was 25, I was slim and fit, playing a lot of different sports, starting my triathlon journey, had been gainfully employed for a couple of years and was starting to climb the salary ladder. Life was peaking for me (so I thought at the time) and was a lot of fun with very little responsibility.

I resolved then to be 25 forever :grinning:

8 Likes

I am 76 years old and am really wondering what plans I should be doing. I really enjoy just riding my bicycle not a competitive person I just like the fresh air and the freedom that bike riding gives. Donā€™t care too much for club rides prefer riding alone. Tried the all purpose plan but found the back to back endurance rides were too much. Also the large amount of rest between workouts didnā€™t suit me. Currently I just pick rides that strike my fancy on a given day. Particularly enjoy the on location rides. Provide a good workout with great scenery and some education thrown in. Not really sure what my Mount Sufferland is at this point (other than staying ahead of the Grim Reaper). Is there a plan suited to me?

9 Likes

Depends on what your goals for training are. You might have specific areas of performance, or even general performance that you want improve on, or simply want to maintain a modicum of fitness and enjoy the workouts. Certainly there are plans for the former, and for the later, choosing workouts you like and doing them as you see fit is not a bad way to go.

A topic of discussion has been how best to modify plans if youā€™re over 60, 65, 70, 75, etcā€¦ Weā€™re kinda lobbying for Wahoo to include adjustments in the plans for that instead of us geezers having to try to figure it out and do it ourselves.

In my case, I ride mtb and all my rides involve an hour or more of tough climbing. My goal for training was to get better at that. To that end, I alternated 4wk MAP and FTP plans and it worked. The only concession I made for my age was adding a recovery day here or there and extending the plan accordingly. What I did is likely not as good a plan properly structured for my age.

4 Likes

A customized plan or a chat with a coach is ideal for getting the plan unique to your needs. Iā€™ve written a ton of plans for athletes over 60ā€¦plus Iā€™m in the club as well.

Cheers,
Spencer

4 Likes

Iā€™m 56 for a few more months. Iā€™ve been commuting by bike since 2013. Did my knighthood in June 13, 2015. Sufferfest has kept me fit and fast ever since, my secret weapon.

6 Likes

Thanks for the responses. Will schedule a chat with a coach next month 77th birthday present for me.

3 Likes