Basically three months down the drain 4DP results

Part of the problem might be that the HM estimates were too high. You don’t mention your profile, but you look like a Pursuiter (high MAP relative to FTP). According to Coach Mac, HM tends to overestimate FTP for Attackers and Pursuiters.

I’ve had a similar experience. I did my first FF and started the All-Purpose Road Plan. HM at six weeks point upped FTP by 9% and MAP by 10%. FF this weekend kept the MAP gains and increased NM by 13%, but FTP was put back where it started from, even a tad less.

For me, an indication that HM was overly optimistic about my FTP came in almost the next workout - my first go at Nine Hammers. I was able to complete the workout at the target powers, but after about the fourth hammer I started to steadily lose cadence. I barely squeaked through the last hammer, about 30 rpm at the end. Ditto for Defender.

It was a disappointment to not improve FTP, but as froekel pointed out, progress is not linear (ask anyone who’s been on a weight-loss program). Not much to do except take a break, remember why we ride (it’s about having fun and secondarily about chasing performance numbers), and then regroup.

I signed up for the Power Builder Plan to focus a bit more on FTP. This allows for an unstructured group ride on the weekend. Still premature for that here in Montreal, but I will use the time to explore suitable rides on Fulgaz for a change of pace.

2 Likes