Broken spoke: too much Sufferlandrian power, or what?

This morning, a spoke on my rear wheel broke during the warmup sprint of 14 vise grips. I have a dedicated trainer bike that sits on a Kickr Snap. I release the trainer tension after every session, but the bike stays locked onto the trainer. Was the broken spoke a natural result of Sufferlandrian power, or do I need to practice better maintenance on my bike? Anyone else have a similar issue? TIA!

2 Likes

Well done that is some impressive sufferlandrian power!

I’ve never snapped a spoke let alone on the turbo but have burst my fair share of inner tubes while sprinting on the turbo.

1 Like

I have broken sooooooo many spokes! Usually the rear but never on a trainer mind you.

I have a dedicated trainer bike as well that stays locked to the trainer but I do remove it for the occasional chain cleaning/lubing and an annual once over at my LBS to make sure everything is as it should be.

Breaking bikes and their bits just gives you even more SUF cred @Dame_Kat_KoS :+1:t2:

4 Likes

i doubt you’re doing anything wrong. If you ride enough, even if it’s only on or mostly on the turbo, eventually you’ll break spokes.

But i enjoy the satisfaction of watching metal wear down and eventually break, whereas our bodies–so soft and squishy in comparison to metal–are stronger than they were before rather than weaker.

3 Likes

Well put! When I heard the snap, I was actually relieved it was a part of my bike and not a part of my body.

3 Likes

Check the bearings of your rear wheel - last time I managed that on my fixie that was the cause of the asymmetrical pull on the spoke.

2 Likes

As for the front tire, whenever I pump it up, I rotate the tire slightly so that the weight is not always on the same spoke.

1 Like