Burbing -- anyone do it?

I was reading about the idea of ‘Burbing’ on Strava. It’s the idea – borne of Covid-19 restrictions - of riding all of the streets in a particular suburb. Sounded like my kind of fun and, since I don’t know my suburb as well as I’d like, I looked up the boundaries of my suburb, powered up my ROAM and headed off. Two hours, 31k and just shy of 1100m of climbing later I finished. Must say it was an absolute blast and I’m already plotting another one to tackle. Anyone else Burbing?

The route: https://www.strava.com/activities/3957144210

10 Likes

Not exactly “burbing” but I mapped out a ride that includes every major hill (400-600 ft average) in the city where I live and looped them into one ride. I’ve never actually finished it because it would be well over 10000 feet in elevation. And I live at the top so all my rides start with going down and finish with going up. Sometimes when I don’t know what else to do I pick a section of the route and go. Needless to say I can’t get anyone to go with me

4 Likes

Wish there was a lol symbol in the app @janis.denning

3 Likes

I’ll have to give that a try on my next ride! Our subdivision is super small but I could do this in the big on across the street, there are a million side streets to go down. I’ll probably only get a total of 10m of “climbing” though :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Got me wondering what my equivalent of a suburb would be. Best I can find that is a defined area is the “civil parish”. Parishing doesn’t quite have the same ring to it though (unless it’s really cold and you say it in a posh voice). Sounds like a decent distraction next time the plan asks for a few hours of zone 2. Do you have to wear a costume or something?

2 Likes

I’ve never heard of this! I think my entire town would be considered my suburb but I think I’ll have to start working on this!

1 Like

Me neither. Looks like there’s only been one attempt in the UK to date so might have to get on to this… Burbing - The Map

2 Likes

This sounds Uber complicated in a city with bazillions of streets, groves, terraces …
maybe I’ll do a super local one … or maybe map out something somehow

2 Likes

On yer bike @Martin, booking an Uber to do it is cheating :wink:

3 Likes

Good point that. Maybe tomorrorrorrow, maybe someday

And of course … then you’ll be the talk of the town

2 Likes

I feel like a fat kid who was out having a :doughnut: when the rules about burbing was explained - huh? What’s this about? I’m keen to give it a go but have no clue :grin:.

1 Like

I’ve considered it…but even a partial Boulder route that a friend of mine did is pretty gnarly: https://www.strava.com/activities/1600605599

I tried to link most of the major local climbs together a few years ago with over 4,000m of climbing and I was definitely on the struggle bus for the last few hours: https://www.strava.com/activities/1811903

I believe when Lachlan Morton rides over 8,000m on a big loop or point to point ride he calls that K2’ing…which sounds better than Everesting…but it still doesn’t sound all that appealing having ridden over 4,000m of climbing a few times in just one day, and never did I think - wow, I’d love to do twice as much climbing next time!
D2D2C98B-0D3E-4490-8608-D5F4EA3FADE4_1_105_c

5 Likes

There aren’t really any ‘rules’ like there are with, say, Everesting. Rather, it’s just an idea: ride all of the roads in your neighborhood/suburb/city. Do it in one ride or string several together. No badges, certificates or recognition. Just fun.

I like the puzzle-like nature of the challenge: how can I design the most efficient route through a designated neighborhood? And then I really enjoy the adventure itself.

2 Likes

When we went into the 5km radius limit from home I mapped out a ride in Komoot - 48 fiddly way points later I finished the route ready to go ‘burbing’ only to realise I created a two hour ride with a one hour outside exercise limit! LOL. But I’m keen to try it once restrictions lift.

2 Likes

Friend of mine Cam cane up with the idea a few years ago. It has really taken off lately with Covid, especially here in Melbourne (Aus).

3 Likes

I live in a rather small, rather flat suburb here in Radelaide so it wasn’t much of a Sufferfest, the real challenge was trying to cover all the roads in the smallest distance… (hmm that sounds very Couchlandrian) https://www.strava.com/activities/3851364161
Still managed to make a couple wrong turns and found a few gravel lanes I didn’t know exist. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I live outside of a town that has a population of 432. Town has 3 stop signs. I guess I won’t be doing that deal so I’ll just be doing a different kind of Bourbon (mason jar type)

3 Likes

That would get complicated around me. I’ve ridden through my whole subdivision (all 6 tiny streets) many times, so that isn’t hard. I think the hardest part is defining your “burb”. I could choose any number of definitions and each would cover a different size area. And even more difficult would be all the gated subdivisons. I think the logistics (at least for me) would easily be more difficult than the actual riding. It sounds like an interesting challenge, but at this point I’m still isolating and only riding indoors, so this would be a challenge for another time.

This type of thing is great. Over a period I cycled every classified road on my local map (Landranger 102). Motorways excepted. Took me to some amazing places, plus some that were a bit less so. It got me hooked, but there’s a downside - now I’m finished I’ve lost my reason to get out and pedal :joy:

1 Like

First came across it late last year via a BBC article:

Think it would also be “Parishing” round my way as well @JamesT :joy:

3 Likes