Cadence and base boards allowing trainer movement

Does anyone else here use some sort of movement device on their trainer?

I just fitted the Tacx Motion Feet to my Neo 2T, and find I’m able to hold 120 rpm for a while, whereas previously I’d be bouncing a lot at that cadence. I have long limbs (195cm) so feel more comfortable at a natural cadence of 85-90 rpm. I’m making a concerted effort to become more supple…

Similar devices mount the whole trainer to allow motion. I’m wondering if I’m just masking poor form now, or at least being able to get up to higher cadences will help develop smoothness… what say ye, wise forum?

3 Likes

That’s an interesting one… I’m going to keep an eye on this thread

I got a Saris full motion platform on sale for 1/2 price over the summer. I’ve not noticed any diff in high cadence efforts but I’ll pay attention next time I’m on it. For me, bouncing occurs when I’m mainly pushing down with the front foot, which according to Newton, pushes my body up with each stroke. To minimize bouncing at high cadence, I try to pull up equally with the rear foot so there’s very little net upward force on my bod. This is a good exercise at very high cadence on the trainer. On the bike, my practical/useful cadence maxes out below 110.

I use the Inside Ride E-Motion rollers. These allow some forwards-backwards motion which help a lot with both the high cadence work, as well as when standing. I do see the forwards/backwards motion when I’m spinning fast, so it tells me I’ve got some way to go yet on smoothness.

I’ve found that regularly doing the cadence builds and cadence builds/holds workouts has helped increase my maximum cadence. I also find that I warm up into it - in the first high-cadence effort I can maybe hit 130 rpm. By the end, I can get into the 150s, or maybe even 160. Doing these regularly improves the neuromuscular coordination, so the relaxing/extending muscles aren’t fighting the contracting muscles.

There’s some more info here in the Knowledge podcast: ‎The Knowledge by Wahoo: Spin to Win - The Benefit of High Cadence Training on Apple Podcasts

1 Like

@way9e0, I see the same movement so guess I’m no one’s whispering souplesse watching me in the trainer just yet… :slightly_smiling_face:

I guess the backwards angled application of force on the pedals, (seems to be backed up by my Garmin pedalling dynamics data), the motion device allows to translate into moving the bike backwards. I guess in that way the motion device is acting as a “damper” on my bouncing - still got work to do to reach peak souplesse!

Slowly working my way through the Wahoo podcast. Good info in there. Listening to this episode now - thanks for the heads up. :+1:

1 Like

I’ve used a Paragon 4-way Rocker Plate for 18-24 months now. (Entire trainer - TACX Neo2T - and bike on the platform.) Forgotten what it was like beforehand but certainly feel the ~A$600 was well worth it:

• Unnatural not to have the bike move under you so goes some way to correcting that
  • more natural movement generally but especially when sprinting/ standing & “climbing”
  • more of a challenge (as it should be) to avoid rocking, especially when doing low cadence grinds
  • less stress on our mounted bikes …

As regards high cadence bouncing I can see how a rocker plate with inflatable balls (most I believe) can lessen bouncing as there will be an element of vertical movement absorption. If the feet only have lateral/ fore-aft movement there’s probably still some gain (high cadence bouncing is not purely vertical) but it would be lesser. So I reckon you can give yourself a pat on the back for less bouncing!

And +1 for regular high cadence drills

2 Likes

I find if I really focus on pedaling in smoother circles, I can reduce the forwards/backwards movement of the trainer. It’s pretty cool to be able to get that sort of feedback on pedaling ‘smoothness’. But that all breaks down when I’m reaching my max cadence; then it’s all just about trying to turn the pedals as fast as possible, with the hope that the benefits will come later from the NM training.

1 Like

A long time ago I adapted my rollers by putting on skateboard wheels instead of the rubber feet that they came with. I set them up on long boards, and attached anchors to tie inner tubes between the boards and the roller frame. This enables a fore and aft motion which makes it more natural to stand, switch cadence, etc. I don’t think I could go back to stationary rollers. In my experience, my form had to get much better very quickly to stay balanced in the center of the system. I believe that rather than masking poor form, it forces excellent form. You can’t balance on rollers if your form is all over the place. Can’t speak for non-roller trainers, but maybe you can find a way to evaluate any improvement in form for yourself.

I’m also a lanky one like you, and at very high RPMs found I bounced a lot, on the road or the turbo. The bouncing goes as you become more efficient at pedalling and don’t apply the resistive force with your hamstrings that initially happens when you start doing high RPM, hence the bouncing

1 Like

Sounds like there may be an hope for me yet, as long as keep persevering and keep up with the yoga videos! :smile: