Effect of NOT Standing when said so in session

Take a look at this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTkrnNr39dk - it might help.

PS I can do the first 20 seconds of each “trick” at a high cadence but still get slower and slower those last 20 seconds. It’s definitely not easy.

1 Like

Good video!

Not to brag or anything, but I am reading this whole thread with a small sense of wonder. Am I the only one that thoroughly enjoys standing?

Yes, sometimes I drop a bit below the cadence goal but it always feels doable. Even more, during long sessions of suffering on the bike it gives me a few moments of relieve.

Maybe it has something to do with me being a runner and part time weight lifter before finding my way onto the bike?! Or maybe I am doing something wrong…

1 Like

+1 for P. W
Im only a beginner on Sufferfest but I have always enjoyed standing doing a lower cadence especially outside when swinging my Dolan underneath me

1 Like

I’m ok with it too in relative terms. It has its limits, but then today I got to a road sign that formally declared its gradient at 25%. I don’t even have a MTB that I could spin up that on. So standing it is :slight_smile:

2 Likes

im okay with 2.5% :laughing:

1 Like

Hi there, much ahave been said not bringing much new other that as people say just “attack” the intervals as if you were sprinting for real! Just bear in mind that your trainer is table enough! I personally have a Neo and it rocks but i can do standing efforts. And secondly keep at it do your best and you’ll se your cadence will get better focus on the power targets, the importance of the Intervals on the trick is to empty your anaerobic tank, recover and empty it again. Also even though the advice is to do it on level mode, i can’t since the jump in gears from reccovery to sprint is too big and then inside of the interval i would have to change gear again, luckily the neo can handle those changes well (with the known latency) but i get better more reliable efforts using ERG. hope this helps

1 Like

Good question Pierre! I guess what I was trying to say is that standing is tougher than seated as it recruits more muscles to stabilise your body as well as coordinating that faster leg cadence.
We all have our different strengths just like we all have different 4DP profiles and rider types :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Thank you for the clarification. :slight_smile:

In no way did I want to sound douch-y or to boast my own skills. On the contrary: I am pretty sure I am a very mediocre athlete and if something is doable for me that others struggle on, I am already leaning towards the possibility that I AM doing something wrong… :slight_smile:

I hope we will hear back from @knhassan in a few weeks or month to get an update on how he’s doing.

3 Likes

If anyone is interested in the physiological differences between seated and standing cycling, here is a research article you may be interested in reading.

https://digitalcommons.wku.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2746&context=ijes

The Conclusion was that uphill cycling while standing results in decreased cycling economy due to physiological and biomechanical variations compared to riding seated.
In short- standing requires more oxygen and muscle recruitment so it’s harder!

10 Likes

Cool. Now I can quote science at GvA every time I (always) don’t STAND when I’m told. Adding that to my list of GvA directed quotes… :wink:

3 Likes

I am reading every response, and feeling positive seeing I am not alone. couple of things so far:

1. it’s worth if you can improve riding while standing

2. keeping cadence above 70 should do; and keep pushing

3. this might be a good idea to understand the focus of the session
    https://thesufferfest.com/blogs/training-resources/how-to-get-the-most-out-of-your-workout

4. and now we have, interesting twist.
    https://digitalcommons.wku.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2746&context=ijes

1 Like

I’ve struggled with standing on the trainer from day one. Where I live and ride outside, it is hills, hills, and more hills. Not climbing the Alps, but still a lot of climbs. Every time I stand, it feels like my quads are on fire almost instantly - on the trainer or on the road. Is this a technique issue? Advise is appreciated!

1 Like

hi there EmbOKJ, have you tried Elements of Style video? i t explains a bit the technique, and i don’t remember if it was on GCN or other it depends the way you stand on the bike and which muscles you recruit while doing the effort. hence more fatigue on one muscle group or discomfort. I can only talk about my own experience, when outdoor and before i started using Sufferfest platform, i used to climb standing and with very low cadences, i improved and now actually standing is less natural for me, but when i do so now i can do it better and with higher cadence. And use standing efforts to relief tiredness/stretch legs out . In one GCN video with A. Contador, contador mentions he trains by climbing standing for several minutes. So i’d say prctice, practice, practice. getting a strong core is also essential. Hope this helps!

2 Likes

Thanks JC. I’ve risen the Elements of Style several times and am an avid GCN viewer. I’ll look up the GCN videos and keep plugging. I think I’m just overly quad reliant. When I’m on climbs (seated) I can get the glutes engaged but it takes a lot of concentration; actually drawing on the Elements of Style workout.

1 Like

This is exactly why GvA would say to STAND!

2 Likes

It’s got to be said, I’m not a fan standing up on the bike… indoor or out! I’ve made the conscious effort though to do it when I’m told and when outside. It’s fair to say though that my riding has improved as a result. Climbing has become more enjoyable, my legs don’t get close to feeling that they are about to cramp and it feels awesome catching and dropping someone knowing my calves are popping as I dance on the pedals :rofl::joy:

whilst I’m fan of the jan ulrich school of climbing sitting and grinding it out, watching contador dance has taught me some new lessons! I love it all now. When GvA says stand, obey!

2 Likes

These are the reasons why I have worked on standing when GvA says to:

On short punchy hills I feel faster if I can just stand and drive a bit and settle back in without a gear change.
On long rides, it is nice to change up the muscle groups a little here and there.
When gradients are steep enough or when a hill catches you by surprise, it seems the only way to quickly respond is to stand.
Because I think I can achieve higher power on sprints (NM) and AC if I stand - I try to use more of my body to drive power through the pedals when max power is the objective (not economy as @Coach.Suzie.S pointed out).

When I started, this was really difficult for me. Like most things, it improved because I practiced it. One of my favorite ways to do this was using the Endurance+ workout - every other 10 minute section, I would ride standing from countdown of minute 8 to minute 7 and then again from minute 3 to minute 2. The resistance is not hard, but that similar burn starts to develop and getting the form comfortable is a big deal. Others called out Elements of Style which I studied very carefully to try to figure it out. Nice topic - this one was difficult for me to figure out when I started with The Sufferfest.

4 Likes

Thanks for the article!
I think the clarifier for higher intensities is important too.
“It was observed that at sub-anaerobic threshold intensities, an increase in VO2 decreased CE while riding in a standing position; however, the differences were negligible at higher intensities.”

2 Likes

@Rupert.H I agree with you but I think there are two distinct forms to being out of the saddle and it all depends on whether you are climbing or sprinting. I find the rock solid form you are speaking of is mostly for climbing and has a much more vertical positioning rather were as the sprinting out of the saddle is a whole body experience starting with how you are in the bars and moving your shoulders through the core and into the hips and out the legs. Each form provides a slight variant on suffering, this is just my take on being out of the saddle. what do you think of this?

1 Like

Agreed about the two different forms of standing.
I just went back to the original post to refresh my memory and on the trick the focus of the stands is on climbing. As on this specific video the sections are reasonably short, I recommend going for the stand as this will really challenge your VO2 max.
As you have pointed out though, positioning on the bike varies a lot between a standing sprint and a standing climb so when you are training indoors it is always important to remember the overall goal of the session. Everyone has their personal preference and strengths so when training it is always good to step out of your comfort zone from time to time.

1 Like