ELEMNT ROAM 3 map BS

On my ROAM 3, the map behaves illogically on zooming out. Let me explain and visualize.

Image 1: This is the map on a certain zoom level. The white lines are wide paths, and the dashed lines are narrow trails/singletracks.

Image 2: This is one zoom level OUT. What happens is that the PATHS are hidden, while the TRAILS remain visible. That’s just BS!

I mean, correct me if I’m wrong, but: Highway > Road > Street > Path > Trail.

Why this is such a nuisance, is that when out riding on these paths, I’d like to see further ahead on the map in order to see my route options. However, in order to have the paths visible on the map, I need to be zoomed in so freakishly tight that i can’t see what paths are ahead!

Wahoo’s support answer to me was:
“The roads and paths shown on your screen aren’t large enough to remain visible at that zoom level”

I explained this to them in even greater detail than this post + video, so should be pretty clear.

My thought is that IF their reasoning was true, the small trails displayed as dashed lines should then be the first to be hidden at zoom-out, because they are the smallest - but naaww! Even the tiniest squirrel trails remain visible way further zoomed out.

IDK… am I in the wrong here? Are you guys struggling with this on your devices and in your area?
I strongly feel Wahoo has got the hiding order programmed in the wrong order. Hell - even the map in the Wahoo phone app has got it RIGHT.

One sort-of weak workaround on the ROAM 3 is to enable “bike lanes” layer on the map. Some of the paths are classed as bike lanes, and that layer stays visible on further zoom-out. But the bike lane layer is sh*t, and not all the paths are classed as bike lanes anyway.

OK I agree with you in general but the bike lanes thing isn’t Wahoo’s fault, they use the OSM data.

If you don’t like it, update OSM for your area. I’ve updated the county I live in.

2 Likes

NEW FEATURE IDEA:

As Ritchie commented, map data used by Wahoo, Komoot etc is sourced from OSM.

Several rides this year I’ve found routes blocked, gates padlocked, Network Rail line crossing now with metal stiles. I’ve added pinpoints and comments onto OSM online map. After several months received feedback that OSM has changed their map.

How about a new Wahoo feature. Pressing left & right button simultaneously for 2 secs. Opens a menu with options, ‘path blocked’, ‘new detail’, ‘flood/mud risk’ etc. Wahoo App to allow entry of text and automate feedback into OSM.

The idea is to encouage feedback on cycle routes and paths in an eay way without diving into deep menu’s. Then through Wahoo App simplify OSM feedback.

BTW, not a new idea, I remember doing this on TomTom 20y ago!

@borgk I was checking this out during my MTB ride yesterday. I can’t seem to figure out what you are seeing. I didn’t have any issues with the zoom and seeing trails, roads, etc.

1 Like

OK I’ve already gone down this rabbit hole with RideWithGPS, I subscribe to them and use it for all my mapping.

I have a lot of similar issues where I ride on the weekends - private roads not marked, dirt paths as paved roads, etc. I talked to the RWGPS guys about having a way to mark bad map data in their app. I’ve been trying to max out my Wandrer.earth points so I’m riding all the weird back roads and finding more problems.

Problem is that OSM doesn’t allow edits from users like RWGPS or Wahoo, you need to make the edits using an OSM editor. They’re really sensitive about data accuracy.

So here’s what I ended up doing: I downloaded an android app Streetcomplete. It lets you easily update the basic info about a road - material, number of lanes, are there street markings, bike lanes, etc. When you find something wrong, there’s a way to put an OSM note in. You have to take a picture in the app and can write some text about what’s wrong and it’s tagged with your GPS. A lot of times a random OSM volunteer will just fix it later, or you can do it when you’re on desktop.

1 Like

@JSampson Let’s see if i managed to upload this correctly:

Video

Keep your eyes on the white paths and the small dashed single track trails. I’m riding on the paths, and they just vanish way too early. In order to see the paths, I need to be very tightly zoomed and it’s way too tight to ”see ahead”.

It’s silly that the small trails remain visible ( (and effectively disconnected) long after the main paths are hidden. Trails are the smallest type of all.

I hope this helps to see my point.

thanks.

Richie, I’ll take a look at Streetcomplete. The OSM online update process isn’t user friendly / intuitive for occasional use. Thanks.

1 Like