Failing Full Frontal by overdoing MAP?

that’s actually a really fair point. If you’re getting through the workouts okay, then FTP and other targets could be close enough, and how the workouts feel can also be a good indicator if targets are set right.

The one place i’d suggest to pay particular attention to in that case though would be, either workouts that have long FTP intervals (like 3x20 is hard on accurate FTP targets, totally untenable on overestimated FTP) or workouts where you’re at tempo for a looooong time. Pay attention to those and dial down if you need to.

Preferred cadence is very variable between people. Mine is just below 100. I bet I’d struggle to complete the 20 minute at your cadence. I tend to drift to 95 by the end of either longer interval. It was more a personal example with a general trend that I think applies more widely.

1 Like

distant TARDIS sounds

1 Like

I’m fairly new to structured training so I’ve found pacing a 20 minute effort really hard. When i done FF it lowered my FTP by a bit compared to the ramp test. The sessions felt a bit too easy afterwards i often found i was setting intensity to 110/120% just to compensate. I retook the ramp test a few months later and FTP was like 30% greater than the FF result, i think I’ll probably stick with a combo of the 2 tests till i get better at pacing efforts, FF will give me my NM and AC numbers, HM will give me MAP and FTP.

2 Likes