From the Coaches: Are you training with accurate 4DP targets?

Hi, do you mean ramp test or constrained effort phase? In ramp you can stand if that helps to push deeper afaik.

First of all, there is only 8 days between your FF and HM and diff is big, especially in MAP which is hard to pace, even for seasoned cyclists. So its hard to say if those are real gains or not and which results are closer to reality.

I believe there is a rule of thumb to retest every 12 weeks or so, since you are already training for some time I would probably schedule a test after ToS and few days of rest. I vaguely remeber there are some guidlines on testing after ToS depending what option you choosed.

I would not add any extra tests into 12 weeks plans as this could ruin your recovery. That being said I would retest if the RPE and HR is lower than the workout targets AND you are fresh (your lower than training targets HR is not casued of acumulated fatigue).

You can probably up the numbers manualy but its kind of a guessing work so extra caution is recommended, imo better to schedule another 4DP, so that you get the stimulus you need. You can also finish a plan early, schedule a test and start another plan if you feel that it will suit you best.

You can see here on the forums that Sufferlandrians also retest when they can finish Nine Hammers on 100% and easy xD

During the ramp test. This is where I read that you shouldn’t stand. Can I Stand in Half Monty?

I don’t think I’d just stick it in as extra, I’d do it instead of some other hard workout, preferably towards the end of a recovery week. But it does mean sacrificing a more targeted workout, maybe more than one, which is why I hesitate to do this often.

Regarding the improbability of real gains in 8 days between FF and HM, I think it was >50% real gains because this was still in the off-the-couch phase. I paced FF quite evenly. FF was a great workout in itself.

The Tool Shed is probably harder than Nine Hammers and I completed it 3 weeks after HM. So that would have been a good time to re-test. Nine Hammers was Day 2 of ToS; I wouldn’t say it was easy at 100%, but it wasn’t awful. I completed Norway on Day 5 at 100% with an average HR of 132. It’s only been about 5.5 weeks since HM. This is just beginner gains, I don’t think it means I screwed up the tests.

I know that testing frequency is only a short-term issue, and it’s a good problem to have; I would expect improvements to slow down after a few months. Caveat: my improvements are probably faster than an average beginner’s because it’s easier to regain fitness than to build it the first time. I’ve also been doing more volume than what a typical beginner would do.

I normally see training plans for running build in expected improvement by having you keep the same pace for longer distances or with shorter recovery. Obviously, that’s not how Sufferfest is designed.

Definitely going to test after recovering from ToS!

2 Likes

This might be an appropriate place to put this question since it is kind of along the same lines.

So I have been an Attacker since I started SUF back in 2019. This past December I tested out and my profile switched to Sprinter. I just kind of died for some reason or another when it came to that last minute interval, it happens I’m sure I’ll be back to attacking in no time.

Now my question is this…
I set up a Gran Fondo plan for the spring time prior to me testing out and my profile changing. Will this automatically update the Gran Fondo plan I had setup before hand or will the schedule still be the same as when I set it up?

Yes and no. The plan will stay the same, meaning it won’t switch the scheduled workouts already in your calendar. However, the workout intervals will be based on your new 4DP numbers.

EDIT: to adjust the schedule, take note of your plan’s end date, delete the existing one and re-add it with the same end date. However, since your 4DP results aren’t typical for you, I’d leave the plan alone and retest at the end.

1 Like

Do your own song play list, turn their sound off. This is key for me especially if I have repeated a workout more than a few times. I have done full frontal once, I did half Monty saturday for the first time and grabbed my old iPod and headset just in case, turns out there is no video even for half Monty. So I spent an hour with some favorite music for hard work and staring at my numbers. But then again to hold the heart rate band I had to stare at my heart rate anyway as I would have to adjust my cadence to drop my heart rate a little and then increase to stay in the parameter they gave me.

Retesting is essential, I did full frontal in December when I started system, after a few weeks I did revolver and found it not that hard. Having done revolver in past training, I know that is not right. So I did half Monty saturday and it raised my numbers just a little. Last night I did revolver again, it was not nice. I could do it but I was at my limit was not sure I could make it up my stairs when done. Not feeling easy that time. So the numbers adjustment was just about right and I was only a 10 wats higher on my FTP.

1 Like

Congrats. As is credited to many (last I saw was Eddy Merckx): it doesn’t get easier, you just get faster.

1 Like

I did a half Monty shortly after getting my Kickr almost two months ago. My heart rate monitor is old and doesn’t sync with SYSTM. I got results where the workouts were too easy. I worked with tech support, who are great, and they gave me new numbers. The MAP and AC are 26% and 54% over the FTP. Workouts that are FTP focused are challenging, but the MAP and AC focused workouts are too easy. I’m reluctant to do another test as my heart rate was 9 beats over theoretical maximum on the ramp part of the test and I’m in my mid 60s. Should I just move the MAP and AC numbers up?

Welcome to the forum and SYSTM.

What do you mean by “theoretical maximum”? If you mean one of the various formulas out there, ignore the the formula! They are estimates based on average with such high variance (I.e. error) that no coach or trainer uses them. A coach who needs to know your max heart rate will put you through a wicked test to see where it stops going up. The formulas are for unserious people who sometimes go to the gym. The fact that you are using SYSTM makes you a serious athlete (irrespective of your talent—high or low).

Maximum heart rate is not a theoretical thing. It’s what your body can do. Obviously, yours is higher than the formula. My max heart rate is 10 to 20 beats higher than the formula (depending on which one I use). (I’m 58.) If your doc told you not to exercise too hard, listen to your doc. If your chest hurts or you get dizzy, go see your doc. Otherwise, do another test or just jack the numbers up, but don’t worry about some dumb max heart rate formula.

EDIT: Adding a reference. Article about error in max heart rate formulas

The standard error of estimate (SEE) of predicted HRmax was 12.4 and 11.4 bpm for the Fox and Tanaka formulas, respectively, indicating a wide-spread of measured-HRmax values are compared to their age-predicted values.

In addition, maximum heart rate has nothing to do with actual physical ability. I am in my late 60s, and my heart rate can be as high as 10 beats over my theoretical maximum even when I am no where exercising at a peak rate.

2 Likes

Thank you. This is what I think about every time I see a post where someone (who isn’t under observation by a cardiologist) says they stopped an effort when their HR got too high. Unless you have a medical reason for keeping your HR from getting too high, your limit should be based on effort and power, not HR. You would be surprised at how high you can actually safely get your HR. And you won’t know your threshold or max HR unless you test it. Because the (210-age) just isn’t a scientifically valid equation to base your efforts on.

3 Likes

Not to mention that heart rate is affected by hydration, heat, fatigue, and other factors.

2 Likes