Can I Stand in Half Monty?

I believe I read some time ago Sir David saying you should NOT stand while doing HM? is this correct? should I remain seated all the time?

thanx

3 Likes

Yes, ideally you should remain seated for the duration of the ramp, especially in the later stages. It is okay to stand a little during the constrained effort just for the sake of comfort.
Really you want your test set up to match your workout set up, so if you test out of the saddle, your numbers would only reflect your standing power, which can often be higher than seated power. You might squeeze a few extra watts out of your MAP during the test, but it can set you up for failure during workouts when you stay seated.

10 Likes

Thanx. Seated it is then.
Last time I did it, I remained seated all the time, but also failed to complete EVERY workout for the following 2 or 3 weeks…after that I started crushing them, now, im feeling the need of a new test! :muscle: :leg:

3 Likes

Oooops. Guess, I’m gonna have to redo HM then :man_shrugging:

After watching a recent GCN vid on standing vs sitting for certain periods of time (eg short punchy climbs etc) I thought I’d try a different approach to HM and squeeze out a few extra watts on my MAP, which I did (+17watts 5.9%). But, I also don’t want to set myself up to struggle over the fall/winter indoor season so back to HM I go. :crazy_face:

4 Likes

Thou shalt not do anything to reduce the Suffering
However, cheating on the test isn’t one of them. I think the instructions say to remain seated

1 Like

Any suggestions for cadence, gear combo, is it okay to use small ring on front and big on back similar to climbing effort? Thank you in advance.

1 Like

Do you have a smart trainer @Rouler? If so, gear selection doesn’t matter so much during the ramp portion if you’re in ERG mode which you ought to be. Most folks use small ring, mid-cassette though each does give a slightly different feel. As for cadence, I’m pretty sure I’ve read to keep it on the higher end of what you’d normally do in order to get the most accurate results. For me, I aim for 90-95.

Cadence recommendations during the constrained portion, from what I recall, are to stick with what you’d normally spin during a 20 min effort and as for gearing and level, you might need to fiddle a bit to find the right combo to keep your HR in the required range.

4 Likes

Thank you, I use smart trainer Wahoo KICKR, and will try the same as recommended

1 Like

Just remember to get out of ERG after the ramp is done. The onscreen instructions will remind you.

2 Likes