From the Coaches: Going the Extra Mile

I calculated it by doing 20min steps starting at 70% FTP and then increasing by 5% each time and seeing if HR stabilises or increases progressively. So at 70, 75 and 80% of FTP my HR didn’t drift up during the 20min intervals after the initial increase in the first 4min or so. At 85% FTP my heart rate increased throughout the effort signalling that more carbs were being used (well ventilated and not too warm so that wasn’t the cause of HR increase). So using that determined my LT1 was around 80% FTP and stayed below that just to be safe

3 Likes

So yeah some tests have done above 120g but limited studies so 120g maximum is a good point to aim for.

Yep processed foods and simple sugar are your friend when exercising.

And yes, fuel for the work to come, hence the huge breakfast and then topping up constantly before you need it

2 Likes

It’s all relative. My first long ride was 10miles and I threw up with 2miles to go and nearly needed picking up.

25 hours of riding is an insane endurance challenge! And an amazing achievement to finish that, well done!

3 Likes

In terms of event classification that sounds right but I’d say an ultra endurance challenge is relative to what each person has done before or their fitness level

2 Likes