Full Frontal Alternative Proposal

The problem with using 4 independent efforts is that it doesn’t give you the same testing stress as FF does.
FF isn’t a 20 minute max effort, it’s a 20minute max effort having just emptied the tank over the 5min effort.
And the 1min grand finale requires the 20min effort first as the Syst(e)m looks at your recovery from one to the other. It’s not a standalone outright 1min effort.

This is important and part of the way the Wahoo team uses the profile to design the workouts.

EDIT: I dug up some personal power records. My all time 1min power is just over 40w higher than my best FF 1min effort (they were done within weeks of each other). That 40w is important.

4 Likes

Yes, but I wasn’t proposing independent efforts but an event with the same gaps and efforts.

3 Likes

I like to do the 7 day test prep plan that has two great hard workouts in it. The one on day three happens to be a HM and the one on day 7 happens to be a FF. The HM suggests targets in the FF making it much easier to pace (but not to accomplish). I just a week of workouts. What’s not to like?

5 Likes

Ok fair enough, I’ll get back in my box…!

1 Like

Interestingly - to me anyways - is that my power records are/were ALWAYS achieved in FF, except for the one hour, which I think remains Team Scream to this day. That was one of the ways I used to decide it was time to redo FF - when my power records in the four disciplines were all from workouts other than FF!

Whoops - or not. Looking back through Strava data, my NM, MAP, and FTP were all set on this past Sunday’s FF test, but apparently my AC record is from my experiment with RGT on the Tempelhof Airport loop in June, and my hour record is from a HHNF session I did in May.

(My two hour was from completing ISLTA on a rainy Saturday in June, and I have no three hour…yet. Looking at you on New Year’s Eve, Kitchen Sink!)

I :heart: data. One of the reason I continue to plead with GvA and the Minions to bring back the Badass Power Records…(hint, hint @David.McQuillen.KoS).

4 Likes

I do prefer the idea of independent efforts though. Suffering in smaller doses LOL

2 Likes

What a way to ring in the new year! Begin as you mean to go on – suffering.

2 Likes

@mikez It is an interesting idea. You can export the workout using the browser extension and then set up a workout in RGT and invite others or just use bots.

1 Like

Will try it when I get my new GARMIN EDGE 530, since, there has been NO way in hell that I have been able to reconnect my sensors, either ANT+ or BT to my Windows 11 laptop that I had to purchase since, Windows 7 Pro 64Bit was no longer supported.
Yes, someone will reply that I need to try this and that or do this and that, done it all, even purchased new ANT+ dongle from Garmin and wahoo, and nothing … So, thanks in advance for the tech support anyone might want to give!

Some great ideas and feedback on here already.
I know FF can be daunting but remember it is there as a tool to help you improve as well as being a benchmark.
Here is some good info on pacing:

As another suggestion, you could always put SYSTM with FF in mini player mode and then ride RGT in Borrego Springs (or why not Ventoux :stuck_out_tongue: ) following the FF workout, you just need to make sure on RGT in the sensors tab that ‘Control’ is OFF

3 Likes

And miss the tortoise and the penguins?

1 Like

There are Laser goats in RGT :goat:

4 Likes

Seriously? Is Fluffy there too?

1 Like

Fluffy is not in FF.

How does RGT deal with the two one minute zero power intervals?

1 Like

I imagine your avatar would just stop by the side of the road.

1 Like

I am aware. Nor are there laser goats. The question was about RGT in general. For FF it would be cool if RGT had a couple of bagpipers :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Fluffy playing bagpipes sounds interesting.
Maybe with Laser Goats firing in the background.

2 Likes

4 Likes

The problem with that is that you can get the power numbers but not your rider profile.

FYI I hate the FF too. only did it once, then did a HM and later bumped my AC and NM numbers from the real max efforts I found in Strava :smiley:

It’s not “optimal”, but as the saying goes: the best training plan is the one you can stick to :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes