Full Frontal vs. Half Monty

I agree with George - you should definitely be proud of the improvement you have seen and you will definitely see more as you continue to train. Also you can’t really compare your power directly to others - it is impacted by weight among other things.

The Full Frontal is a tough test and it takes some time to get adapted to the training as well. Here is a podcast that I found helpful with respect to Full Frontal with some tips on pacing and gearing that might help the next time you take the test.

Breakfast with Box: Full Frontal with Neil H.

Finally it is pretty normal to have a tough time with workouts on adjusted numbers. Keep making adjustments as you see fit. At some point you will not need to do that and may even dial up the intensity as you continue in the program.

Good luck!

1 Like

@genolan Thank you very much for you answer. I think my new numbers are too high because I barely can do the training at 92% of my FTP. If some type of rides do better on HM than on FF should I do always the same test (FF instead of Half Monty) to compare the numbers at the beginning, the middle and the end of the program ?

@JSampson Thanks for your answer and the Podcast I’ll listen to it ! For you I just should adjustate each of my training until I can train at 100% of my FTP ? How long should I take to see if it’s just a question of adaptation ?

That’s a big ask. The recovery time for FF has to be greater than for HM so substituting FF in place of HM would maybe affect your plan for the next few days. That said, it is a much better test

1 Like

I did a FF on this morning to check my numbers and my FTP is 141W instead of 148 in the HM and my MAP is 163 instead of 151 so it’s quite similar even better for the MAP and I’m quite happy with this 6 weeks progression ! I’ll try to train with these numbers maybe the 7W difference for my FTP is enough to struggle achieving the trainings !
Thank you very much for your answers !

1 Like

Good work! It looks like MAP was the main problem, but your new numbers are still a nice increase in 6 weeks (18% for FTP and 8% for MAP, by my reckoning). If you could cope with doing the workouts at 90-92% intensity off your HM numbers then that’s roughly equal to your new FF MAP numbers. You might just need some positive self-talk on the threshold sections :wink:

1 Like

Check out this article - it may answer your question. Good luck and congrats on the new numbers!

Even the Badass Have Bad Days

1 Like

I think I need some of that ‘positive self talk on the threshold sections’!!!

1 Like

Update! Took some time to focus on training since my previous HM “fail”. As a reminder, my FF FTP was 200 and HM was 176. Assessments were done within the same month with rest/recovery between. I trained for four weeks with a focus of another attempt at HM. I have good news to report! Last night, I completed the HM which resulted in an FTP of 202 and an improved Lactate Threshold. Woot Woot! This stuff works. Suff is the stuff!

2 Likes

HM on 18 December
MAP 300
FTP 239
LTHR 158

FF on 31 December
NM 1041
AC 390
MAP 299
FTP 236
LTHR 168

No previous results I can compare with, as these tests are on my TT bike with older ones on the road bike, but the closeness in results is very good. Was I aiming for those targets and maybe could have gone harder? Probably not, had nothing left to ‘surge’ in the final part of any tests, so I may be finally learning to pace correctly.

Fine way to finish off the year, with a FF. without knowing your maxhr … that looks like a brilliantly executed test numbers wise.
4DP tests are just the best for setting training numbers.

How did you feel after the 5 and 20 minute sections?

Well done sir. Strong stuff.

1 Like

I hit 175bpm at the end of the 5min block, so an LTHR of 168 feels right (about 95% of max) based on previous racing efforts.

Felt absolutely spent at the end of the longer efforts - nothing left to give. Couldn’t surge to any higher power