Full Frontal vs WKO5

One thing to keep in mind, is that we developed the 4DP test in Full Frontal to be an effective single-session test to evaluate an entire power profile without having the need for multiple days of testing. WKO requires a significant data stream to be effective. And even as such, I find errors of between + AND - 20% for FTP values for the athletes that I coach…with all of them having accurate test and race data at least every 8-12 weeks. My experience with WKO5 is that it sometimes works, and sometimes is an absolute disaster. If it works for you, great. If it doesn’t, don’t worry - it’s also completely wrong for 3 out of 4 World Tour/Olympic riders that I work with. If I used either TTE or FTP to set targets for TTs in 75% of my athletes, they would have spectacular failures on both ends of the spectrum. Using their power values from Full Frontal or an outdoor single session power profile, though, we’re within a 5% variation of their actual in race performances.
That being said, all of our workouts do use our 4DP calculations to build them. That being said, if you aren’t as motivated, fit or rested/fresh when you complete a workout like Nine Hammers as you were during your Full Frontal, there’s a good chance that workout might not be possible to complete at 100% intensity. That’s okay - just dial it down a few percent and do what you can do. Also, as mentioned - the 1-minute AC effort in Full Frontal reveals more about repeating high intensity effort in the AC realm than it does exclusively what your rested 1-minute power, or even 30s max power, would indicate. Also, you mentioned that you update your numbers in the app - but I would caution against using 20-minute and 1-minute values from anything other than a Full Frontal session as those targets will become unobtainable. Also, never ever mix indoor and outdoor achieved power values (I know you said you only ride indoors, but want to make that point clear for everyone). Hope that helps and let me know if there’s anything more specific that I didn’t answer.

16 Likes