GCN+ and GCN App to close

I’m in a similar situation (new credit card, seven months left of the subscription) and I successfully managed to update just now. Go to GCN+ web page, log in, choose ”Manage account” and from there you can change payment method.

2 Likes

Not on my browser or in my App. I’ve had three emails from their support and they tell me it is not possible. I’m looking at Microsoft Edge as we speak but I’ve also tried others. Maybe it just U.K. but they’ve removed all settings for payment details.

‘Max’ Unsurprisingly Loses Streaming Customers After Several Years Of The Dumbest Decisions Imaginable

Tangentially related…

5 Likes

Exhibit B. I rest my case.

3 Likes

Aaaand coming as a shock to absolutely no one…

That’s right, my fellow Americans - less content, 4x the price.

(USA…USA…)

:man_facepalming:t2::man_facepalming:t2::man_facepalming:t2:

4 Likes

Sigh. No surprise. But… sigh.

1 Like

And, to add insult to injury, you’ll have to pay so much to get a whole lot of non-cycling things you don’t want to watch! American capitalism! Yay!

5 Likes

Cha-Ching! For ad-laden plus the add-on, at a minimum of $220/year…can’t imagine that includes taxes and fees. Ad-free removes at least $270/year from your wallet. And we all thought Flo-bikes was expensive :rofl::sob::tired_face::triumph::rage::face_with_symbols_over_mouth:. The “free” BR add-on expires, yes you guessed it, on Feb 29, so you will have to pay for the new cycling coverage :nauseated_face:

1 Like

And to watch some of the events I used to watch using the GCN app with a VPN set to the UK, I’ll need to spend more money for FloBikes and Peacock, too!

1 Like

Could you subscibe to Discovery+ with a VPN set to UK? It’s £6-99/month but I don’t know if you need a UK address for the billing?

1 Like

Saw this post on GCN this morning…Fluffy does ride a bike! RIP to GCN+. I’m cramming in a couple documentaries and Herentals before tomorrow eve.

8 Likes

Warner/Discovery are one of the evil folks who bypass the VPN for your IP address. Thus you can say you are in France, but it will still detect that you are physically in the United States. And to watch everything costs over USD 300. I don’t have that kind of money, sadly.

1 Like

:frowning_face:That’s a shame :frowning_face:

1 Like

Plus, I’m guessing if I download their app on the US app store, it won’t even know about the Cycling they broadcast in the UK

1 Like

Has anyone yet subscribed to Max (and BR add-on) in the US to watch cycling? I’m curious about the features available as a recent Bicycling article said that there were no replays for the events only live. Web searches show that downloading content is only available for those who paid for “no Ads”, though there seems to be a “My List” feature. I wonder though if this feature allows you to watch later. We’re starting to feel the effects of GCN’s closure with no races to watch :cry: thanks.

1 Like

The paid BR add-on hasn’t launched so no cycling yet. They have a BR sports section where can currently watch NBA/NHL stuff with a regular Max sub until the pay period starts next week. No cycling on that, but when I was browsing yesterday, I did not see any replays for the other sports - just live events and highlights. I have no idea if this will change once the pay period starts.

1 Like

Thanks. While I’d love to lounge around and watch cycling during the day, don’t think my boss would be keen on it (well, don’t think I got much done the mornings in July when we were watching TdF). I hope the offer is enhanced to make it more attractive to us working stiffs, but until then, GCN on YT for me.

2 Likes

On-demand options are not well explained yet. I don’t think I am going to pony up for the BR add-on even though I am a current Max subscriber.

FYI, for TdF coverage in US it will require Peacock (and the sub-par commentary there-in). FloBikes for some other races.

Good synopsis of options here, and some discussion of potential workarounds in the comments.

For the US, I’m afraid race coverage is not going to be too easy, very good, nor inexpensive.

3 Likes

We got Peacock+ a couple years ago for TdF, Vuelta, Roubaix but GCN+ was the best for the Classics and Monuments…oh last year’s San Remo and MVDP breakaway. It’s just so sad to miss these one day races.

3 Likes

We signed up for FloBikes to get the rest of the cyclocross season, and hopefully a fair bit of the road season. Some races are geo-restricted to Canada only. The cyclocross commentators have been the same as from GCN+ days, so the coverage is familiar.

2 Likes