GLUCOSE: quiz and week of fun facts

The Wahoo Sports Science team is collaborating with Supersapiens for a research study on glucose variability. So this week, I am going to test your knowledge with a daily 4-question quiz on the topic… the following day I will post the answers as well as a brief description.

DAY 1:

1. Which sugar is the main source of energy for all the cells in your body?
    A. fructose
    B. glucose
    C. lactose

As your body digests the food, glucose is absorbed into the blood, which delivers it to your cells. The term is often used as shorthand for “blood glucose level,” or how much glucose is in your bloodstream (measured in milligrams per deciliter, mg/dL).

1. What is the term for too much sugar in the blood?
    A. hypertension
    B. hyperchondria
    C. hyperglycemia

“Hyper” means “over” or “excess,” and glycemia means “glucose in the blood.” When the pancreas cannot produce enough insulin (the hormone that helps your cells use glucose), or if insulin does not work properly, glucose levels are elevated in your blood.

1. When your blood sugar gets too low, which part of your body will notice it first?
    A. brain
    B. muscles
    C. heart

The brain only uses glucose for fuel. Low blood sugar symptoms typically begin with a headache, intense hunger, vision problems, and weakness. Things can get worse fast: Without a blood sugar boost, the risk of confusion and seizures increases.

1. Where does your body store glucose?
    A. fat cells
    B. stomach
    C. liver

Once the body uses what it needs after a meal, the liver takes the leftover glucose out of the blood, turns it into glycogen, and stores it. When your blood sugar level dips – perhaps between meals or after exercise – the liver converts glycogen back into glucose and release it into your blood.

8 Likes
  1. B - Glucose (the answer is sort of in the title of the topic :wink: )

2. C - Hyperglycaemia

3. C - Heart, I guess, though as a conscious human you probably feel your muscles first

4. C - Liver, though not so tremendously well for a while after you’ve had a hepatitis-type virus, a life highlight of mine :slight_smile:

Very interested in this subject, though.
Hitting 43 this year and changing over to a pure exercise type lifestyle, rather than sport specific (played football (soccer) fairly seriously for a lot of years), I’m finding managing my body a little harder with training and I suspect I need to start managing my diet a bit more carefully.

1 Like

I agree with @Jon except I think your muscles would ‘notice’ lack of sugar first, in that for self preservation and survival cutting sugar to vital organs might not be the best idea? Although I had a feeling the heart muscles use lactate for fuel? Might be making that up though!

1 Like

I’m guessing on that one entirely.
I’m guessing that under stress, your heart rate probably starts to rise before your muscles reduce output, but then I might simply be looking at it the wrong way, it might be nothing more than semantics, or I might just be flat out wrong :smiley:

1 Like

Actually 3 is A, Brain. However, if you ever have bonked, you’ll notice your HR drops, by ten to twenty beats and you can’t get it back in range.

1 Like

Fun!

1. B
  2. C
  3. A
  4. A (as lipids) & C (as glycogen). Also muscle (glycogen). EDIT: Mixed up my A and C earlier …
1 Like

1.B
2.C
3.A Brain notices first and send messages to regulate the rest of the body and prevent further damage, e.g. your legs feel “heavy” to stop you damaging yourself.
4.C

3 Likes

Agree with @JGreengrass

1 Like

1B
2C
3B
4C

I could Google beforehand.

Having seen other answers after answering, I have some doubt about my Q3 answer, but being practical, my brain registers that I am feeling whacked, but does it do it after my muscles have fatigued and then registers as such, or, does my brain say hey your muscles are stuffed and then I actually feel the stuffed muscles :person_shrugging:t3:
Staying with my answer.

1 Like

As regards the brain, I was thinking of the question in terms of the conscious part of your brain also, as opposed to the automated part that is controlling everything directly for purposes of that question.

That was SUPER fun to witness the discussion about the DAY 1 questions. Please see the bold answers with explanations on the original post. Here is another set.

DAY 2:

1. What is an ideal glucose value range after fasting or upon waking?
    A. 70-140 mg/dL
    B. 70-100 mg/dL
    C. 100-125 mg/dL
    D. 100-140 mg/dL
    The expected values for normal fasting blood glucose concentration are between 70 mg/dL (3.9 mmol/L) and 100 mg/dL (5.6 mmol/L). When fasting blood glucose is between 100 to 125 mg/dL (5.6 to 6.9 mmol/L) changes in lifestyle and monitoring glycemia are recommended. If fasting blood glucose is 126 mg/dL (7 mmol/L) or higher on two separate tests, diabetes is diagnosed.

2. Signs of hypoglycemia include:
    A. dizziness, talking a lot, depression
    B. hunger, shakiness, difficulty talking
    C. talking a lot, high energy, fidgeting
    D. shakiness, depression, high energy
    An individual with low fasting blood glucose concentration (hypoglycemia) – below 70 mg/dL (3.9 mmol/L) – can experience hunger, dizziness, shakiness, sweating, palpitations, blurred vision, and/or difficulty talking.

3. Which hormone helps to elevate blood glucose?
    A. insulin
    B. glucagon
    C. cortisol
    D. testosterone
    Glucagon is a hormone that your pancreas makes to help regulate your blood glucose levels. Glucagon increases your blood sugar level and prevents it from dropping too low, whereas insulin, another hormone, decreases blood sugar levels.

4. Insulin is produced by the _____.
    A. pancreas
    B. liver
    C. stomach
    D. spleen
    Insulin is a hormone produced in the pancreas by special cells, called beta cells. The pancreas is below and behind the stomach.

2 Likes
  1. Not a clue, going to guess at B
  2. B
  3. B
  4. The answer is already in this thread :slight_smile: A
1 Like

I like this! Jumping in after missing Day 1.

DAY 2:

1. What is an ideal glucose value range after fasting or upon waking?
    B. 70-100 mg/dL

2. Signs of hypoglycemia include:
    B. hunger, shakiness, difficulty talking

3. Which hormone helps to elevate blood glucose?
    D. testosterone (but I’m really not sure about this one)

4. Insulin is produced by the _____.
    A. pancreas

1 Like

This a Couchlandrian quiz right? The answer is always donuts.

2 Likes
  1. B
  2. B
  3. B
  4. A

Adding a bit more here otherwise I get an error. Too brief!!!

1 Like

B → deduced it. Have no knowledge about it but do know that after fasting it should be low. assuming that all given values are physiological only A makes sense.
B → knew it
B → knew it
A → knew it

1 Like
  1. B 70-100mg/dL
  2. B. hunger, shakiness, difficulty talking
  3. B. glucagon
  4. A. pancreas
1 Like

5 B
6 B Symptoms are partly induced by adrenaline being released.
7 B
8 A

1 Like

I am not going to look ahead at responses nor google answers, so let’s see how well I guess for Day 2. Out of my depth here.

5B
6B
7A
8A
:person_shrugging:

1 Like

Great to witness the critical thinking!

DAY 3:

1. Which sleep stage typically demonstrates the highest glucose levels?
    A. light
    B. deep
    C. REM
    The most energy-intensive sleep stage is rapid eye movement (REM) sleep. During REM sleep, heart rate increases and the brain exhibits activity patterns similar to daytime levels. The heightened brain activity requires more glucose, leading to a higher metabolism. If sleep is low quality or low quantity, glucose stability decreases. Research suggests that over time, poor sleep increases the risk of developing type 2 diabetes.

2. Which hormone causes the greatest increase in blood glucose?
    A. cortisol
    B. serotonin
    C. insulin
    D. testosterone
    Stress can make the body feel like it is under attack. This floods your bloodstream with hormones, such as cortisol, that help get your cells to release glucose. When stress remains elevated, your body may stay primed with higher levels of glucose, expecting that your cells could need more energy at any moment.

3. Which type of exercise typically lowers your blood glucose during a session?
    A. strength training
    B. low intensity cardio
    C. high intensity cardio
    According to research, all types of exercise seem to improve the body’s insulin response. So they are all beneficial- Low intensity cardio lowers blood sugar the most in comparison to the other types, unless you fuel during the session.

4. Which variable lowers your blood glucose?
    A. illness
    B. too little sleep
    C. allergies
    D. none of the above
    Illness, lack of sleep, and allergies all elevate your blood glucose levels.

2 Likes