Recovery Assessment

Dr. J is back with another exercise in evaluating our quality training habits… this time with a recovery assessment! Are you an expert at the RECOVERY component of training!!!

Each day this week I will post two questions in this thread. The following day, I will provide a point allocation for each potential answer and you award yourself with the number from your response. In addition, I will explain the previous day answers and provide two more questions. At the end of the week, add your points for a total recovery score. Fun right?!?!

QUESTION #1/10:
How many hours of sleep do you typically get each night?

A. more than 9 hours
B. 7-9 hours
C. 5-7 hours
D. fewer than 5 hours

QUESTION #2/10:
How many nights per week do you typically have lower quality sleep due to:
• inability to go to sleep within 30 minutes
• wake up in the middle of the night or early morning
• get up to use the bathroom
• cannot breathe comfortably
• cough or snore
• too cold or too hot
• bad dreams
• pain

note: if you experience these symptoms but they do NOT influence your sleep quality, please answer 0-1 night per week

A. 0-1 night per week
B. 2-3 nights per week
C. 4-5 nights per week
D. 6-7 nights per week

1 Like

A - 9 or more. 9 is a minimum. 9.5-10 during the week typically and 10.5-11 on weekends that I’m not racing if everyone else plays along nicely.
A - 0-1.

B and B

C 5-7 hours
A 0-1 nights

B and B for me, with the 2nd B being more A+ :slightly_smiling_face:

My Answers:
#1 - C
#2 - C right now. B when I’m in better shape.

1: B - typically 7.5 per night
2: A - typically rarely. And the more I exercise, the less of an issue this is.

B
B

If I exercise consistently I sleep better

1 Like

C
A

I know.

B and C

C and C

For the second question there’s a summer and winter.
Summer: after riding I find I’m super hot at night and because I hydrate extensively, I have to use the restroom.

Winter: I’m usually freezing but since I only ride indoors in winter I don’t over hydrate and have to use the restroom as often. I do find if I do a particularly spicy suf session I’m not cold……

1 Like

1.Usually B. But I also nap after a ride for one to two hours.
2. Every night I get up. I have CATS and they DEMAND their 2 a.m. feeding. I sometimes have to get up to go to the Loo as well (C).

1 B
2 A - find I do get up but it doesn’t impact my sleep quality

1.C
2.A -get up but no impact on quality of sleep

1. B - usually 8
  2. A - I’ll often get up, but go straight back to sleep

Damn. Normally get to sleep fine.
Then read this thread and that was the end of that. Funny how the mind works.
I get up a lot but I don’t think it disturbs my sleep much. Good game.

1 Like

Q#1 B and Q#2 B

OK! Day 1 and the first pair of questions answered. If you are late to the recovery assessment party- no worries! Feel free to start now by answering the questions from yesterday and today.

FIRST: Yesterdays results. IMPRESSIVE sleep habits from the group! In terms of total sleep time 8% more than 9 hours, 62% between 7-9 hours, and 30% between 5-7 hours. NO ONE reported less than 5, which is really good to hear. With respect to sleep quality, 38% stated that they wake up 0-1 time per night with 31% for both 2-3 times and 4-5 times… and again no one in the lowest quality range.

SECOND. The point allocations from your answers yesterday. Reminder… we will be adding up our recovery score throughout the week.

Q#1: How many hours of sleep do you typically get each night?
A. more than 9 hours = 8 points
B. 7-9 hours = 10 points
C. 5-7 hours = 5 points
D. fewer than 5 hours = 0 points

Q#2: How many nights per week do you typically have lower quality sleep?
A. 0-1 night per week = 10 points
B. 2-3 nights per week = 7 points
C. 4-5 nights per week = 4 points
D. 6-7 nights per week = 1 point

Sleep plays a critical role in immune function, metabolism, and learning. In the short term, a lack of sleep can affect judgement, memory, and mood. In the long term, chronic sleep deprivation can lead to weight gain and cardiovascular disease. The National Sleep Foundation guidelines advise that healthy adults need between 7 and 9 hours of sleep per night. Babies, young children, and teens need even more sleep to enable their growth and development. Individuals over 65 should also get 7 to 8 hours per night.

And here are 5 tips to improve sleep time, continuity, and quality.

1. go to bed and wake up at the same time everyday
  2. create a bedtime routine
  3. minimize naps in the afternoon
  4. exercise daily with vigorous intensity
  5. reduce blue light exposure two hours before bed

BUT, recovery is not ALL about sleep. Here is the second pair of questions.

QUESTION #3/10:
How many 8-ounce (.25 Liter) glasses of water do you drink per day?

A. more than 10
B. 8-10
C. 5-7
D. fewer than 5

QUESTION #4/10
How many servings per day and when do you drink beverages that contain caffeine?
note: includes coffee, expresso, black tea, green tea, kombucha, soft drinks, energy drinks

A. 0-2 servings; before 3pm
B. 1-2 servings; anytime, including after 3pm
C. more than 3 servings; before 3pm
D. more than 3 servings; anytime, including after 3pm

2 Likes
  1. B
  2. A
  3. B (but this totally depends on the weather and what kind of day I’m having; if it’s colder or I’m not working out, will be less)
  4. C (Why is there no option to have 3 servings? I actually have exactly 3 cups of tea every morning!)

Recovery Score at this point = 17
Q#3 B
Q#4 A