Kickr flywheel optical tape

I get zero resistance on my Kickr and all the readings (power, speed, cadence) are zero. The trouble shooting article below says that this could be caused by caused by the “optical tape” on the flywheel having gone dirty or missing. This makes sense, as in this case the optical sensor wouldn’t get a reading of the flywheel RPM and thinks it’s in standstill no matter how fast you pedal. But the article doesn’t tell what kind of optical tape is needed as a replacement and where it is available from. This would be a banally easy fix, but sourcing the tape is my problem. Does Wahoo publish the specs of the optical sensor, at least what wave length it emits and receives.

https://wahoofitness.yonyx.com/y/conversation/?id=c6b7e660-be88-11e7-b908-bc764e10c19d

1 Like

I’d suggest you reach out to support directly. You can submit a request here: https://support.wahoofitness.com/hc/en-us/requests/new though it is the holidays so there may be a bit of a delay on getting a response.

The site says “ Our support team will be observing seasonal holidays 12/22 - 1/1. Response times will be delayed. Live chat and phone support will be suspended.
If you need assistance, please submit a support request and we will address it as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

1 Like

Thanks… for the very reason of the festive season i need to get on my trainer though. It’s unthinkable to ride out (or ski) in the slush at the moment. I need to shave off some weight in anticipation of the upcoming culinary temptations !

2 Likes

100% understood. Maybe someone will weigh in that can help but for something like this you really need The Company.

Any chance of borrowing a trainer from someone else for a bit? Set of rollers maybe?

Edit: also, did you try just cleaning it with a soft cloth or rubbing alcohol after having it unplugged for 30 secs? It says you don’t need to disassemble to troubleshoot and it might not actually need replacing.

1 Like

Thanks Glen! Very helpful. I think you’re right, I need the specs from the company. I’ve disassembled the flywheel three times now, to try different types of tape, without success. Having done that I actually don’t think it is very feasible to clean the tape properly without disassembling, not to mention to see if the tape is actually there or missing. In my humble opinion, relying on such tape design is patchwork, not proper engineering. And not publishing the specs for replacement is pure malevolence.

2 Likes

To be fair, I imagine the vast majority of users wouldn’t be tinkering with the mechanics of it. I’m sure they’ll get you sorted as soon as they can. My experience with customer service has been nothing short of amazing. Good luck in any event.

3 Likes