Knighthood Tips and thoughts

Yes, I feel this is the most important part. I am more proud of the support and the amount of money I received from my friends, family, and strangers during my attempt than of my attempt itself.

4 Likes

Still basking in the afterglow of my first tour. What to do now? After completing ā€œMoon Riderā€ this evening ( the SUF coaches know just what I needed) Iā€™ve decided. I shall embark on a KOS campaign (this being required notice). Stay tunedā€¦

6 Likes

I just know Iā€™ll end up doing this ā€¦ my backside is hurting already ā€“ STOP !!! No negative self talk!!!

2 Likes

Yep, this helped me too. I didnā€™t actually expect to get much from my friends, but I actually got waaay more than I did for ToS. I think itā€™s because I chose an Australian environmental organisation and a lot of my friends would be more likely to jump onto that. I also used facebook to do the fund raising and sent invites through facebook to people which made a big difference.

Chris

2 Likes

Hi ronburgundy, let me know, IĀ“m considering too and may join. Cheers, Peter

1 Like

Have started the KOS training plan. Will be storming the gates in three weeks. See you there!!

6 Likes

Thanks for the tips, everyone. The gates shall be stormed on 03/21/21! I had to move up my attempt by a week to work with a family vacationā€¦ I didnā€™t think it would be wise to turn around 2 days later and drive across the country with my wife, 3 children and our dog with so much suffering still coursing through my legs!

4 Likes

Great, so letā€˜s go on. Youā€˜re talking about weekend of March, 20th?
Cheers and have good rides, Peter

1 Like

@phoenix65 Sounds like @northy185 shall be joining us. Giveā€™er!!!

2 Likes

@ronburgundy @northy185 wonderfull! May I offer a very suffering welcome?
And by the way, will this count as an official announcment?
Cheers

3 Likes

@phoenix65 I believe it does. And @Fezzek is also considering a siege!!

1 Like

Count me in as official! Iā€™ll post my plan soon, Iā€™m narrowing down my video selection

2 Likes

I really admire all of you who do this. I can honestly say it has as much appeal to me as colonoscopy prep.

Norm

2 Likes

Having done both, I can tell you that a knighthood attempt usually involves a lot fewer trips to the bathroom. Usually.

4 Likes

Lots of great tips in here. One big thing to remember is that suffering levels different from rider to rider. If you did the videos at 60% or 90%, as long as you felt like you suffered, then you did it right.

Iā€™ll touch on a few others from up top here:

• Get in a 4 hour test ride before your run. Some say 5 hours, but with a lot more videos Knight eligible under an hour, you get to that point of ā€œwhy not keep goingā€. Youā€™ll get an idea of what works/schedule on hydration and nutrition.
  • Have a minion on hand for making sure youā€™re alright and getting items while on the bike.
  • Donā€™t past video 5 in UNUSUAL pain or discomfort. This is the last systems check before the GO or NO GO on the rest. Better to chalk it up to a long training ride than get 7 videos in and be a complete mess. Be smart and know when things arenā€™t right.
  • Expect nutrition/hydration plan to fail. Low sodium and cramping or harder time putting in calories and needing something different. Itā€™s why having a minion on hand is a must.
  • Change riding gear. Your undercarriage will thank you later.

Enjoy the experience and have fun.

5 Likes

This is important! I know for myself, when I first heard of the KOS, I didnā€™t even know you could dial down the intensity of your workouts and thought you had to complete all 10 at 100%! Once I learned you could dial them down so that you still suffered - but could still complete them - that was the game changer for me. I knew that mentally I could I finish them all, it was just a matter of figuring out the intensity as I went along. And in the end, I surprised myself with how hard I was actually able to go. Sort of like training for a marathon. For a couchlandrian, they seem daunting. But then as you train and get closer and closer to race day, you get your body trained for it. When youā€™re trained for it, it doesnā€™t seem as daunting, or as crazy.

4 Likes

We do so!

Thatā€˜s why itā€˜s called suffering :sweat_smile::v:

1 Like

I appreciate that we can plan for success or failure, but can we overthink this? If we were doing a 120 mile ride on the road, we would ensure we kept fed and hydrated, but personally, I would still power over little hills, ride at a good tempo up long drags, while avoiding mad sprints I would not need too much ā€œdialling down intensityā€ OK Suff vids mostly contain the high intensity which could be dialled back, and there will be more time in the saddle than if you were on the road, and yes you can freewheel bits on the road, but you would not stop every hour for a 10 min break on a long ride, so things balance out. I have not tried KOS so this post may look a bit arrogant but it is not intended to be so, just supplying food for thought to anyone interested

Iā€™m just curious, what kind of mileage do people chalk up in a KOS attempt?