Level selection for 4DP

Hi. I may have missed it here but I am going to do Violator and it has an IF of 92 and my coach @Coach.Jeff.H assigned with an IF of 82. I am on a “dumb” trainer so do i just open the settings on the video and universally adjust it down to 82%?
Thanks in advance for everyone’s help
Scott

I think Violator is just a case of 100% commitment to sprints each time, basically ignore targets and run it in level mode. The IF will relate to how you sprint targets compare to your FTP - ie if you are a strong sprinter relative to your FTP that workout will have a higher IF than if your sprint targets are weak compared to FTP. The link below might help.

Unless your coach has told you to run the workout at a set % of FTP/MAP/AC/NM then just give it 100% 64 times and bring a bucket!

Good luck!

https://thesufferfest.com/blogs/training-resources/if-and-tss-what-they-are-and-what-they-mean-in-a-post-4dp-world

Hi Alistair and thanks for the quick reply! I am using a Trave Trac fluid trainer so there is no mode settings to set.

@ScottyCycles62,
@Alistair_Brown is correct. You just have to fully commit to Violator. Get it done keep pushing. If you hit them all, you hit them all, if you don’t … well, the effect is about the same if you go all in. The article he shared above is appropriate too. Thanks

1 Like

Thanks I hit or exceeded all of the sprints (max efforts) except for a few of the last 5 sec ones.

Brilliant!

1 Like

Hi all. My Pronouns: she/her. I just failed my 2nd Full Frontal after diligently adhering to the Fitness Kickstarter using a KICKR Snap. I used Level 1 for both tests. First test I was proud I got through it with numbers that made sense (no flag except I didn’t have a heart rate monitor then). Today— as the MAP 5 minute began I couldn’t find a gear between “ hard but not sustainable for 5 minutes and “less hard but really not hard enough at all” and well below the power I held in my first test (first test MAP was 195; be kind, fellas). But then my gear shifting completely fell apart and I had to stop the test. I know, I know -in hindsight I should’ve just kept going. So I rested at an easy intensity for 3 minutes, rewound to the start of that MAP interval and tried again. This time made it through and continued on. Got a warning flag that my MAP was less than 115% of FTP (20 minute). Btw-in case this is relevant-I have 3 rings in front and my cassette is a 9 speed 11x23. I don’t really want to think about the gear ratios… unless that’s the ONLY way to find the right gear.
Is there a plan that teaches proper gearing for the FF? Haha. Not sure how that would work. I’ve read the articles on using Level mode, and the only thing I can think of is to use Level 0 the next time and in the meantime practice more sessions with Level mode to get used to shifting. Another question for pacing the MAP: should I sprint up to the power level I think I can sustain or more gradually build up to it? I was trying this: increase cadence, then shift to harder gear, then up the cadence more then shift again and try to hold. But couldn’t find a gear that was in the right spot. Power gap seemed to be 15-20 watts between two gears and that’s too big a gap. Or maybe I just need to wait for the KICKR SNAP to settle to the accurate power reading -it does have a 5-8 second delay. I was in middle ring in front and 2nd largest cog in back then shifted to big ring after upping the cadence and then couldn’t find a gear in back that felt right. Should I be using middle ring and harder (smaller) cog in back and forget the big ring? All thoughts welcome on finding the right gear, ways to prepare for the next FF so this never happens again (talk about mental suffering)! I am loving the app and am quite fond of all you fellow Sufferlandrians … but expected to see improvement on my 2nd FF so this feels like a failure. Of course, that just motivates me more to go fight back—but I’d like to do battle with some kind of strategy or tactics. Thanks,

Level 0 should help to minimise power steps between gears. But you can also micro-adjust your cadence too. So if you find that the gear you are in is a bit too easy and spinning out, but the next gear up is a bit too hard then you can bring down your cadence slightly to compensate. Remember power = pedal force x cadence.

I actually find it best to mix up my cadence a bit during 20 min FTP efforts and often start out at around 95 rpm and bring it down to 80 ish in a higher gear when my breathing gets to the limit. But I focus on keeping my power consistent throughout. I may use 2 or 3 rear gears during the interval to achieve that cadence range, but I wouldn’t switch front chainrings as that would be way too much of a jump. I don’t change the level setting either. I just choose a level setting that puts me roughly in the middle of my cassette at target power output so I have room to adjust up or down. For me that happens to be level 3, which feels like riding up a moderate incline.

If you have a reasonable idea of your FTP you could easily practice in level mode and note down what level and gear combination works with your preferred cadence at FTP. Start off in a low gear and accelerate smoothly up to speed/power, changing up one gear at a time as you go. No need to sprint like crazy! Think of it like a car accelerating up through the gears. I would just use your middle front ring unless you find yourself spinning out in the smallest rear cog. Ideally you want to be roughly in the middle of your cassette at target power and preferred cadence.

1 Like

Thanks @Peteski this is helpful. I’ve started experimenting with the Levels and gears and L0 does minimize power steps between gears. (Also got a reminder from the minions about the power curves by Level.) I’m paying less attention to the cadence targets that the workouts suggest when I’m in Level mode and focusing on hitting the power target-either by micro cadence adjustments as you suggest or a higher gear lower cadence. I definitely struggle with low cadence high power grind efforts so I’m adding strength sessions too. I appreciate your suggestions! Just did Attacker the other day in Lvl mode and suffered well without getting frustrated over the gearshifting. And , no more messing with the front ring on the HM or FF tests. That was a big mistake!

1 Like

Check out this Breakfast with Boz podcast. It is a good overview on each test within Full Frontal including gearing and level mode.

Breakfast with Boz: 4DP Test