Longer window for NM test in. FF

I’m not even sure what relevance this has in the discussion and I have a Master’s degree in Mech Eng! lol
Anyway you were talking about forces earlier. Power is simply force x speed. Both parts of that equation are equally relevant to the resultant power produced, which is why gear ratio and the flywheel brake are critical to a sprint. What was the question again? :grinning:

To answer your question about opposing trainer power, it depends whether the flywheel is still accelerating or decelerating at the end of the 7 seconds. If the flywheel is still accelerating then the opposing power will be less than 1000W, but if it is decelerating then it will be more than 1000 W. If the flywheel is at constant speed it will be exactly 1000 W. In reality the trainer will never create more opposing power than you are applying, so the decelerating phase occurs when your own power starts to fade.

4 Likes

If you are so well educated then you’ll be able to answer the question. After 7 seconds of a sudden big increase in power what do you think the power of the trainer brake will be?

I already answered above. I honestly have no idea where you are going with this question but I am curious now.

No you didn’t. You suggested that it is plausible that the flywheel is slowing down after only 7seconds of a massive increase in power. Even if you approach the sprint near FTP for long enough that the flywheel speed has stabilised a sprint is still roughly a sudden tripling of power and only of a short duration.

We both know that isn’t true and your suggestion was just to avoid answering the question.

Well in my last FF sprint, my cadence did top out during the 7 second sprint and reduced very slightly by the end as my power started to fade. But I did start my sprint a few seconds early so I was hitting peak power going into the interval.

But…I still have no idea what your point is?

This discussion seems like it’s heading towards a downward spiral. The original post was well answered by the first reply (imho). My understanding is that the app takes your best 5s average, wherever it happens. How you should or shouldn’t generate that is a question for those that came up with the test protocol. Looking at everything that has been written here, there and everywhere I can understand that it’s not totally clear (e.g. How to Get The Most out of Full Frontal – The Sufferfest refers to maximal 5s sustained power whereas 4DP® & Fitness Tests FAQs – The Sufferfest says that its about your ability to instantaneously produce power). Let’s see if we can get a coach/minion comment on the original question (tagging @Coach.Neal.H as he’s already given an answer in this topic and it’s his test protocol…)

6 Likes

Do you have a freewheel hub?

My point? You objected to the timing of my sprint not considering how the software would determine the peak 5s when I had tried to answer the original question. Then you objected to my simplification without considering if it was reasonable. Then you changed my words and when I saw spotted what you’d done you attempted an ‘argument from authority’. The real question is what is the point in all these objections?

I also have a MS in mechanical engineering and I don’t understand this question.

Perhaps it’s rhetorical. But I have to say, I’m confused about what there is to argue about. Is someone going to revoke my degree? :slight_smile:

Anyway, I think it would be a good feature for the software to allow some wiggle room outside the 7s. The thing is, I’d stop trying at the end of the 7s if I didn’t know. The existence of the feature could be tested by someone. But I’m not volunteering to take FF again in the near future :wink:

1 Like

NM tests in FF are 7 seconds long but they take the best 5 second average of the two efforts.

It already includes “wiggle room”.

As what results from FF are numbers individual to you and your training, as long as you approach NM efforts in the same way every time you encounter them (Violator, The Shovel, etc.), they will be comparable and relevant.

2 Likes

The context from earlier in the topic is that some people wanted more than 2 seconds of wiggle room. It was floated that maybe the app does take the best 5 seconds even if it’s partly outside the 7 second window, but that’s unclear.

Well I do apologise if you were offended, it certainly wasn’t intentional.

I do have to say I’m pretty confused about many of your comments and questions, which I now realise are loaded.

I only mentioned being a mechanical engineer because I was struggling to understand your reasoning despite this being my profession. If you are an expert in this specific field then it would be great to learn something new.

So do I have a freewheel hub? Yes, but again your question is lost on me.

Yeah, I’m questioning my own sanity at this point :grinning: I’ve re-read the whole thread several times and I am still non the wiser.

It would be useful to know how the software does in fact measure your 5 sec power relative to the fixed 7 second interval. Does it allow you to over-shoot the interval or not? I’ve never dared to risk it myself, hence starting my sprint a bit early to make sure my best 5 sec effort is in the window.