New trainer advice

My son is looking to buy himself a new smart trainer. He is torn between two - Tacx flux 2 direct drive and the kickr core.
I have a kickr and love it does anybody use the flux 2? And what are your opinons of it?
Or are there any others that you would reccomend

1 Like

I’ve got a flux s - close! The belt gets squeaky which means some regular maintenance but the process to do that involves opening it up which may void warranty. It’s easy to do though and if the belt needs replacing they’re cheap enough. Never had any issues with it, no idea how many miles but it’s been used on a regular basis for around 12 months, lots of suffering!

Obviously nothing compares to the thoughts of those who have actually used products, however could be worth checking out DC Rainmaker for very in-depth reviews. They are usually my go-to for anything bike tech and you’ll get the good and the bad.

1 Like

Cheers Sir Paul, yes we have looked at DC rainmaker and a few other online reviews. Like you said I was after the thoughts of people that had used them. I am pushing him towards the kickr, but i am a bit biased.

1 Like

I think it depends on what sort of rider he is and what sort of training he does. I’ve had both a good wheel on and a wheel off trainer and the benefit is really in how quickly it changes. For 5 to 10 minute efforts or slope mode I don’t feel it matters much. Once you’re down to 1 minute or those short jumps in power (in erg mode) then the wheel off is better.

I started my indoor training with a Wahoo KickR Core before upgrading to a KickR Bike. It’s a solid piece of equipment and never gave me any trouble. I can highly recommend it.

Another Bonus: Since Wahoo and SUF are one now, you can get support for your software and hardware out of one hand. It’s a nice bonus, in my opinion.

2 Likes

I’m a few weeks into my Elite Suito and no complaints, even been quieter than I thought it would be. Comes with a decent cassette plus folds away nicely if space is an issue.

1 Like

I’ve personally used both. I did my first knighthood on a Flux… it failed me. I own a Kickr now. The Flux is a good trainer, but it’s just not as good as any of the Wahoo trainers. Wahoo also has really great customer service compared to Tacx.

Disclaimer: I work for Wahoo now, but before that, I worked for the Sufferfest on the product development side, which meant I had access to a lot of trainers for testing. Wahoo was my favorite brand out of the bunch. Wahoo was just reliable. We could always count on them. And we were hard on those trainers.

2 Likes