Nose breathing?

One thing that I’ve found that REALLY helps if you CANNOT get to a practioner is to watch the Breathing Yoga videos. I went from a panter to a slow and steady while climbing breather and I can do more nose breathing. One thing I do need help with is clogging…Humidities are now in the SINGLE digits with a string of days where humidity is < 5%

2 Likes

Thanks for this. I had a stroke in January caused by a hole in my heart. I had the heart hole closed in July. It’s been the most challenging time in my life including re-learning how to walk. During my recovery, I also read Nestor’s book called ‘Breath’ and though it took a while, I’ve managed to put nasal breathing into daily practice. I’m doing a basic Pilates routine also and have resumed using my indoor bike at low intensities. I may find that my heart repair changes heart performance somehow but, only time will tell. So far, I’ve managed to maintain nasal breathing during bike sessions including up to about 170bpm and, I’m interested in monitoring the speed at which I can then lower the bpm post peak/increased efforts by deep and controlled nasal breathing. The practice seems to work and helps me sleep better at night, but it did take perseverance. I don’t expect I’ll necessarily maintain nasal breathing during activities like swimming and in future, if I need to take in more oxygen during hard bike or running efforts, I won’t beat myself up about it. But outside those times, nasal breathing is my new norm.

4 Likes

Glad you are continuing to heal and that the heart issue seems to be resolving itself. Now for continuing strengthening and improving health.

2 Likes

Brenda, this is fabulous to hear!
James Nestors book is great as it covers all breathing techniques and evidence along side. Rather than siding with one method. There are different breath techniques depending on what you want your nervous system to do…For example, yesterday I decided, for some reason, to do Rue The Day! It was actually very enjoyable haha! But, I was mouth breathing for around a 1/3 I suspect and I was also purposely mouth breathing just before the 2nd and 3rd set to psyche myself up once I knew what was in store.
You will sleep better as you’re subconsciously training yourself not to mouth breath while sleeping… Mouth breathers have a much higher rate of sleep apnea.
Keep working with where your body takes you and be kind to it! The mind is the bodies biggest challenge at times!

2 Likes

…and vice versa. :wink:

1 Like

Nasal breathing can actually allow for more oxygen to get to active tissues during exercise, since breathing through the nose releases nitric oxide, which breaking through the mouth does not. Nitric oxide is necessary to increase CO2 in the blood, which is turn is what releases oxygen.

Of course, there is a limit for most people for how long you can sustain nasal-only breathing as your respiratory rate increases before you are forced to use your mouth as well, and then both (called by some as “first gear”, second gear, and third gears of breathing).

Personally, I find it very useful after a hard interval for recovery, to focus on in through the nose, out through the mouth, and to generally try and nose breathe for as long as it’s comfortable.

Sample study: Effect of Nasal Versus Oral Breathing on Vo2max and Physiological Economy in Recreational Runners Following an Extended Period Spent Using Nasally Restricted Breathing | M. Dallam | International Journal of Kinesiology and Sports Science

1 Like

#achatbotsayswhat?

3 Likes